The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks a Maldivian lawyer to serve as Program Manager for Justice Sector Reform as part of an anticipated new 5-year, project funded by USAID. The Program Manager will lead all aspects of the project related to the legal sector, expected to include work with the Bar Council of the Maldives, the Attorney General’s Office and the judiciary.
The candidate should have a degree in law, experience in legal practice or a law-related position in the Maldives, and deep familiarity with the Maldivian justice system and justice-sector institutions. This position will be based in Malé and will work closely with staff from other organizations within the project. The Program Manager will report to the ABA ROLI Regional Director for Asia/Pacific based in Washington, DC, and will supervise one or two Malé-based ABA ROLI staff. The anticipated start of this position is July 2020.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of assigned programs and ensures that all programmatic requirements are being met/exceeded according to the ABA, ROLI, and grantor requirements;
- Working with partners, maintains accountability for all timely, accurate, and compliant in-country programmatic monitoring and evaluation;
- Working with partners, oversees and is accountable for the development and deployment of substantive programming and activities, including, but not limited to, project work plans, managing volunteer legal specialists and consultants, and convening, organizing, and participating in training opportunities within the Maldives;
- Establishes and enhances effective collaboration and relationships with Maldivian entities and other development partners to fulfill program objectives within cost constraints and garner additional funding from partners;
- Maintains proactive communications with ABA ROLI, partners’, and consortium leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on program activities, achievements, and shortcomings. Creates and implements corrective plans to improve performance against appropriate standards in areas where program shortcomings are identified;
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned;
- Collaborates with ABA ROLI headquarters and Maldivian authorities to ensure that all programs and operations are compliant with local laws and regulations and, if required, have received all regulatory licensing/registrations prior to offering the program;
- Ensures compliance with all donor, ABA, US and Maldivian laws/regulations while managing the program(s); ensures personal and program compliance with applicable anti-corruption laws;
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, feedback, performance appraisal, and, where appropriate, applies corrective actions to an assigned team (if applicable); and
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Law degree.
- Relevant professional experience.
- Understanding of the Maldivian legal system.
- Experience engaging at a high level across the legal profession and justice sector.
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining close productive working relationships with government and other key stakeholders.
- Fluency in Dhivehi and English.
- Ability to travel within the Maldives and internationally.
- Legal ability to work in the Maldives.
- Master’s degree in law.
- Experience practicing law.
- Experience in the management and implementation of donor-funded programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Dhivehi.Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Maldives Program Manager”. Closing date is June 30, 2020. Applications will be considered on receipt and the position may be filled prior to the deadline.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Maldives Program Manager”. Closing date is June 30, 2020. Applications will be considered on receipt and the position may be filled prior to the deadline.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html