CRS South Sudan is seeking a Program Manager I - Health for an anticipated 12-month USAID/ Office of US Disaster Assistance (OFDA) funded program in South Sudan.
The Program Manager I - Health will ensure high quality delivery of primary health care services in the supported mobile medical units. The post-holder will recruit, train, and lead the program’s health teams, including all clinic and pharmaceutical staff; conduct direct programming and direct implementation of activities through teams working in insecure and remote field locations; and coordinate actively with other CRS programs in Greater Jonglei. Health service delivery will include prevention and support for home-based care of COVID-19.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Provide management, technical oversight, and direct supervision of the program’s health team to ensure project design and implementation are in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and MoH, WHO and CDC standards and best practices.
- Support effective planning, coordination, and integration of efforts with existing CRS programs and other key actors’ programming in targeted regions to optimize shared use of technical expertise, assets, and facilities as well as strengthen the collective impact of CRS interventions.
- Support the development and/or adaptation of technical guidelines, standard operating procedures, and training materials for the program’s health and ensure use of appropriate systems and tools, including supporting MoH systems.
- Ensure health programming reflects operational constraints including insecurity and seasonal access.
- Coordinate and oversee implementation of health components of the program’s detailed implementation. Ensure that health teams comply with donor requirements on deliverables, timelines, and reporting.
- Recruit, train, and supervise health field teams. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and lead goal setting and performance management for direct reports. Identify staff capacity and technical assistance needs and support capacity strengthening activities.
- Act as key resource person in project design and proposal development for health, filling gaps, and taking on growth responsibilities, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technical experience in developing and directly implementing primary health care activities.
- Technical expertise in primary health care (communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Technical experience interpreting and use of M&E indicators and data for quality assurance decisions and reporting.
- Strong critical thinking, creative problem-solving and sound judgment skills. Proven ability to plan and manage multiple tasks in parallel. Capacity to respond rapidly to evolving challenges, devise appropriate solutions, and achieve results.
- Cultural awareness, capacity to learn rapidly and adapt management approaches to varying cultural and security contexts. Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Direct project management experience in health, nutrition, and WASH integrated programming in emergency settings is highly desirable.
- Experience with infectious, outbreak - prone disease
- Experience with reproductive health services in resource poor settings.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Required Languages - English
Travel - Must be willing and able to spend up to 80% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position directly manages the pharmacist and the Senior Health Officer
Key Working Relationships:
Internal - Nutrition Program Manager II - Team Leader, Program Manager I (× 2) WASH & MEAL, SBCC/Care Group Senior Project Officer, Medical Logistics Manager, country program and operations management teams across Greater Jonglei and regional technical advisors.
UN agencies (WHO, UNICEF, WFP), peer agencies, State and National Ministry of Health, Health cluster and local government authorities.
- Clinical degree required (MD, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse, Clinical Officer). Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in managing moderately complex health and nutrition programs in a remote field setting, preferably with an international NGO.
- Experience delivering primary health care in resource constrained environments.
- Demonstrated experience delivering health care in conflict settings.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talent
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.