You will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the Country Program (CP) anticipated four-year USAID funded ‘Increasing Community Resilience through Agriculture’ program, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. You will have overall responsible for the program’s markets systems component. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its agriculture and livelihoods programming.
Together with the program’s technical team, you will be based in Bor town, Jonglei State and conduct regular field visits to remote and insecure field locations. Hiring is contingent upon successful receipt of the contract and donor approval of the candidate.
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or in the field of business, agricultural economics, economic development, agro-enterprise, or agribusiness management. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in relevant field-based direct program management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years of experience in the direct implementation of market systems programming, including cooperatives.
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects preferably with an international NGO.
Required Languages - English
Travel: Must be willing and able to spend up to 50% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Technical expertise in market systems including cash/vouchers, markets and value chain analysis, microfinance, enterprise development and market engagement strategies in conflict settings.
- Proven ability to plan and manage multiple tasks in parallel to optimize the short seasonal implementation window in multiple locations.
- Experience and skill in implementing matrix management and remote management supervision for field teams and partners.
- Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with very basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement restrictions.
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for USAID contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality technical proposals.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations including private sector and research institutes.
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
- Demonstrated experience with needs and market assessments, business planning, as well as response analysis frameworks. Familiarity with SMART SKILLS, EMMA, PCMA, MAG, MARKit, RAM, RMA, VC, MISMA and/or other relevant assessment and analytical tools would be beneficial.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: None. The post provides technical oversight to markets and livelihoods teams implementing activities at field level.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.