ABA ROLI is seeking a Program Manager to be based in Hanoi, Vietnam to manage programs in partnership with the Vietnamese legal profession and legal sector actors. One key program will focus on criminal trial advocacy, increasing the knowledge and skills of judges, prosecutors and defense lawyers relating to the more adversarial elements in the Criminal Procedure Code, and developing the capacity of universities to train law students in trial advocacy skills, including through a moot competition. The Program Manager may also be involved in managing other programs providing training and skills development to lawyers, judges, prosecutors and others, and developing new rule of law development programs for ABA ROLI in Vietnam. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the Vietnamese legal system; ability to engage with justice sector actors, the legal profession and universities in Vietnam; experience managing the delivery of skills-based training; and experience working on donor-funded programs. S/he will work closely with ABA ROLI’s Washington, DC office, and be part of a small team based in Vietnam. It is possible that, at least initially, the successful applicant will be engaged as a full-time independent contractor, working from home, transitioning at a later stage to an office as an employee.
The initial duration of the criminal trial advocacy program is 2 years, with potential for extension, and is currently anticipated to commence in February/March 2019.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of assigned programs and ensures that all programmatic requirements are being met/exceeded according to ABA ROLI, and grantor requirements;
- Maintains accountability for all timely, accurate, and compliant programmatic monitoring and evaluation;
- Oversees and is accountable for the development and deployment of substantive programming and activities, including, but not limited to, project work plans, developing training, curricula and resources, managing volunteer legal specialists and consultants, ensuring all program objectives are met and delivered within budget to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding ABA ROLI plans and program objectives;
- Fosters effective collaboration and relationships with the Vietnamese government, legal institutions and leaders, and other development partners to fulfill program objectives within cost constraints and garner additional funding from partners;
- Maintains proactive communications with ABA ROLI leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on program activities, achievements, and shortcomings;
- Creates and implements corrective plans to improve performance against appropriate standards in areas where program shortcomings are identified;
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned;
- Participates in donor relations;
- Understands the changing operational and political environment and keeps senior management informed;
- Provides support to and is accountable for logistical arrangements for program activities;
- Collaborates with ABA ROLI headquarters and local authorities to ensure that all programs and operations are compliant with local laws and regulations;
- Ensures compliance with all donor, ABA, US and Vietnamese laws/regulations while managing the program(s); ensures personal and program compliance with applicable anti-corruption laws;
- Assists in program design and the development of proposals in collaboration with Washington, DC office and other the field staff;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Law degree.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience.
- Understanding of the Vietnamese criminal justice system.
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining close productive working relationships with government or other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use discretion when working with confidential documents and information.
- Fluency in Vietnamese and English.
- Ability to travel within Vietnam.
- Experience practicing law.
- Experience engaging at a high level across the legal profession and justice sector, ideally experience working with judges, prosecutors, lawyers and/or law faculty.
- Exposure to established adversarial legal systems and/or hybrid court systems.
- An understanding of rule of law needs and opportunities in Vietnam.
- Experience in the management and implementation of donor-funded programs.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct skills-based training.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html