Program Officer, Fulbright
At AMIDEAST we pride ourselves in being a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa. We also pride ourselves in providing 40+ days of paid leave and a great 401k with 6% matching.
The program officer is a key member of the 20-person unit charged with managing the Fulbright Foreign Student Program in the Middle East and North Africa. The incumbent will have primary responsibility for student supervision caseload, a placement caseload of nominees, and supervision of an assistant and interns. The incumbent also will assume responsibilities that pertain to and require the involvement of the Fulbright unit as a whole. Therefore, the program officer must be organized, diplomatic and team-focused.
- Manage the placement and supervision of Fulbright students from the Middle East & North Africa in degree programs at U.S. universities;
- Communicate with students, State Department, field offices, Fulbright Commissions, U.S. Academic institutions and other agencies concerning program-related matters;
- Travel domestically and to the region to assist with selection and pre-departure/post nominations orientations;
- Supervise Program Assistant and interns, assign work load as leader of student placement/supervision team;
- Promote the Fulbright Program to U.S. academic institutions through campus visits, presentations and other outreach efforts;
- Represent Fulbright and AMIDEAST at U.S. professional conferences;
- Forecast student costs, develop individual grant budgets, approve grant payments and track student disbursements;
- Negotiate admissions and financial aid opportunities on behalf of students;
- Contribute to department’s social media and web pages;
- Contribute to program documents and manuals revisions;
- Report quarterly student costs to Fulbright Commission on student costs;
- Draft statistical and narrative reports;
- Contribute to refining program operations and procedures.
- BA required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3-4 years of experience in a student services environment
- Previous supervisory experience
- Experience with J-1 exchange visitor programs desired
- Experience with U.S. graduate admissions desired
- Familiarity utilizing Excel spreadsheets to maintain and organize a large amount of detailed information (ex: budgetary and student related information)
Please provide a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to http://jobs.amideast.org
AMIDEAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer-Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
About the Organization
AMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa.
Founded in 1951, AMIDEAST in its early years focused on promoting U.S. study to students in the MENA region and managing U.S. scholarships and exchanges such as the flagship Fulbright Foreign Student Program. While these important programs continue apace, our work has expanded significantly.
Today AMIDEAST programs and services touch the lives of half a million individuals a year – improving educational opportunities and quality, strengthening local institutions, and developing language and professional skills critical for success in the global economy.