The ABA Rule of Law Initiative is seeking a full time, dynamic, highly-collaborative Program Officer to join the Latin America and Caribbean Program in Washington DC. The Program Officer is a key position in the LAC Division, providing daily support and assistance to the regional portfolio.
- Provides primary backstopping to the field team, supports the Division’s business development efforts, including research, recruiting, proposal drafting and budget development, and other efforts to improve ABA ROLI’s effectiveness and competitiveness;
- Assists in the administration of ongoing program activities from headquarters through close monitoring of programmatic deliverables and participation in strategic meetings with the program management team and Director regarding programmatic outcomes, realignments, etc.;
- Closely collaborates with the field finance team, headquarters based finance and compliance teams, and program staff in conducting proactive financial backstopping and budget tracking;
- Supports the director in performance monitoring to identify additional HQ support requirements helpful to the field team;
- Supports the Director in financial and budget monitoring to identify trends in burn and resource allocation;
- Coordinates recruitment efforts for key field staff positions, including long & short term consultants’ participation in interviews, and recommending candidates for follow-on consideration;
- Assists with the review and editing of program work plans and performance monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Drafts scopes of work for consultants; oversees consulting agreements and reviews consultant reports;
- Prepares briefing material, program highlights, and reports for interested parties, including funders, donors, academic circles, key decision makers and development professions;
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships within HQ (Communications, HR, International Support, General Counsel, Finance, and other program divisions);
- Promotes programmatic and interpersonal problem solving;
- Supports and develops team building in all work spheres.
- BA in social sciences, or a relevant field with a minimum of three years previous work experience in international development, including short or long-term field experience;
- Working knowledge of USAID Rules and Regulations;
- Strong internet and computer software skills, including MS Office Suite programs, and web-based research tools;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and lingual settings;
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with extreme attention to detail;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) required.
- Fluency in Spanish (written and verbal) strongly preferred.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
The American Bar Association is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association please call 312-988-5188.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.