Summary of Role
The Program Officer I is responsible for providing program operations and management support for specified IntraHealth programs in West Africa. S/he helps manage project operations, administration, finances, and logistics and liaises directly with IntraHealth foundation system staff. The Program Officer I assists with the design and development of project management systems. The Program Officer I works directly with agency partner contacts and consultants to develop and monitor project scopes of work, budgets, and timelines. The Program Officer I reports to the Senior Program Manager or Program Manager and learns about all aspects of the country projects in order to provide program officer support, including annual workplan and budget development and monitoring. S/he is expected work independently with limited supervision.
- Assist Senior Program Manager and in-country staff in developing and monitoring annual work plans and budgets, as well as associated deliverables and results/outputs.
- Prepare, coordinate reviews, edit, and disseminate project-related reports and documents, including subcontract scopes of work, country strategies, progress updates, curricula, and other documents and reports.
- Prepare project contract documents (subcontracts, sub-agreements, purchase orders, and Memoranda of Understanding) as requested;
- Oversee all domestic and international project-related travel processes. Seek any necessary USG and Partner approvals for travel.
- Create and maintain the projects’ SharePoint site(s) and assist with project-related information management
- Develop management tools that can be adapted for other programs as needed, e.g., travel and budget tracking tools, partner communication or consultant approval templates, create systems for and help manage subcontracts and sub-grants.
- Work closely with the country project finance team and the IntraHealth Finance Department in the home office to develop, monitor, track and analyze annual, quarterly and monthly expenditures compared to project budget. Ensure that project budget projections are accurate and expenditures are properly tracked, including accruals.
- Review expense reports, cash requests, and Deltek reports and collaborate with Chapel Hill based Finance and Contracts staff and in-country finance staff to correct any errors identified, informing finance staff of necessary changes to be made.
- Ensure various program funding mechanism rules and regulations are followed according to donor and lead partner expectations.
- Manage procurement process, serving as headquarters point person for field.
- Liaise with field office staff, including HR and Operations staff, on various operational, technical and program areas as well as project-related personnel issues.
- Facilitate consultant approvals and paperwork, including identifying, interviewing and hiring consultants, managing consultant expense reports and invoices, and ensuring accuracy and adherence to contract
- Participate in new business development bids including writing job descriptions, participating in strategic phone calls, providing guidance on proposal budgets and providing administrative support as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned
- A Master’s degree in public health or related field with a minimum of 2 years of program management experience; or a Bachelor’s degree in related field and 4 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in finance, administration, and management, developing and tracking budgets, logistics and operations.
- Experience with USAID- or CDC-funded projects highly desirable.
- General knowledge of MNCH/FP and Human Resources for Health/Systems Strengthening technical terms and programs.
- Working knowledge of international health and development, and MNCH/FP and Human Resources for Health/Systems Strengthening programs is preferred.
- Comfortable working in teams as well as acting independently in the implementation of specific tasks, multitasking and prioritizing, working under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people of various nationalities and cultural backgrounds
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Overseas field experience in Africa preferred. Experience in West Africa is a plus.
- Fluency in French is required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Ability to travel locally and internationally estimated 30% of the time
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Position is based in IntraHealth’s Chapel Hill, North Carolina headquarters office
Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written) - Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
About the Organization
Why Join IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.