As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The potential of a cross-border cooperation and coordination in the region of Benishangul Gumuz/Ethiopia and Blue Nile State/Sudan, as of yet has not been systematically developed. Therefore, European Union (EU) and the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) wish to provide local governments, communities and the private sector on both sides with opportunities to improve diversification of livelihoods, shared management of natural resources, trade development as well as capacities for conflict prevention and resolution. The overall objective of the project and this component is to address the drivers of migration and strengthen the populations’ resilience particularly among vulnerable groups (e.g. youth, women and displaced persons) to instability and displacement.
- Steering the effective implementation of the programme’s component on strengthening resilience, including improving livelihood opportunities and enhancing integrated natural resource management under the supervision of the project team leader;
- Developing and implementing capacity development measures;
- Supporting cross-border initiatives and cooperation with/among partners in governmental institutions and civil society;
- Supervising the project team members and steering the work of short-term consultants;
- Results-based monitoring and reporting;
- Using and ensuring Do No Harm and Gender Sensitivity approaches.
- Master’s Degree in agriculture-based economy, natural resource management, food security or related fields;
- Proven track record of professional experience in at least one of the following areas: natural resource management, improving sustainable livelihoods, strengthening resilience, preferably in Sub-Saharan countries;
- Leadership skills and used to work in a multi-national team;
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken). Arabic language skills are an asset;
- Strong communication and reporting skills with focus on high political sensitivity;
- Power user of digital communication tools.
The ongoing conflict in the Blue Nile State of Sudan causes significant restrictions in terms of access to the southern parts of the state and in terms of movement of project staff outside Ed Damazin, Blue Nile State/Sudan (CTO regulations may apply) while the living conditions and safety for project staff in the Benishangul Gumuz region of Ethiopia can be considered reasonable to normal. On both sides of the border, there are poor road conditions and health facilities at a very low standard. A Risk Management Unit (RMU) of the project as an integral part of the project management that will provide all necessary assistance and safeguard GIZ’s field staff.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competencies when you apply online.
After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.