Manage the assigned multisectoral project(s) with a strong focus on nutrition, with technical support from sector advisors. Develop and lead the implementation of project activities, ensuring adequate monitoring and evaluation in line with the objectives, work plan and budget, and adherence to donor and internal Medair standards and procedures. Manage and train project staff to meet quality standards in Nutrition, WASH, and Food Security delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, and liaise with relevant stakeholders. Anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new regional project proposals and reports.
The Afghanistan programme has projects in Nutrition, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Food Security sectors with associated Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) programming. Cash Transfer Programming, Natural Resource Management and Emergency Response activities are also undertaken as required. All projects contribute to the overall objective of increased resilience and contain Disaster Risk Reduction elements.
Starting Date/ Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, contract of 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of appropriate and effective strategies for Nutrition, WASH, and Food Security including proactive planning for responsible exit in consultation with country advisors, other staff and field managers.
- Continuously monitor and supervise project activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the project team (and where applicable local authorities) in analysis and taking appropriate action to ensure continued progress.
- Ensure integration of project sectors in terms of implementation, results and reporting.
- Line-manage the Nutrition, WASH/Food Security, and BCC team leaders, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other project staff including in the absence of managers.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, ensuring staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for project activities with a focus on effective monitoring, reporting, project cycle and budget management. Ensure staff receive adequate technical supervision from relevant advisors.
- Assess the training needs of project staff and ensure that appropriate technical training is conducted.
- Manage the project(s) budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the project staff on relevant issues.
- In consultation with the Logistics team, develop the procurement plan and ensure purchase requests are submitted in a timely manner to ensure project activities are delivered according to the work plan.
- Ensure project activities are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere, HAP and Core Humanitarian standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in Nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing / public health / medicine.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year experience working in a Nutrition / Health/ WASH or Food Security programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context; management experience in Nutrition, Health, WASH or Food Security programming.
- Experience working in an insecure environment desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of relevant sector principles and management.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building; team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Experience in project cycle and budget management.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- This position will have very restricted movements at the field base.
- Access to projects sites will also be limited.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.