The main task of the Project Manager is to play a vital role in the start up, roll out and implementation of the project “Humanitarian Information Dashboard”. In doing so, the PM will work closely with partner organization Aptivate, and it will have to apply all of his/her knowledge of the humanitarian community to identify ways to leverage the Internews program and the different types of platforms available to engage in 2-way communication with local communities. The PM will manage the relationship with technical team and with the country team in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, making sure that feedbacks from the field are fed back into the development of the dashboard.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In coordination with the Senior Humanitarian Director, the Humanitarian Advisor, and the Internews Bangladesh Team Lead, the Project Manager will manage all aspects of the HID project, including relationships with partner organizations, with Internews HQ and the field team in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
- Conduct a comprehensive revision of the Internews assessment of existing information platforms done in 2015, to see how technology has developed and if any of these tools can be used/incorporated into the design of the dashboard.
- Assess existing information flows between community members and the Internews Humanitarian team in Cox’s Bazar, with particular attention to how they collect questions and rumors received and how they provide information in response.
- In close coordination with the Bangladesh team on the ground, conduct a preliminary assessment on the use of social media, ICT4D tools and communications means used by affected communities and local organizations to communicate among themselves, access information, and communicate with aid providers and other groups in Cox’s Bazar in order to inform the development of most appropriate modules for the dashboard.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director for Humanitarian Programs, provide technical guidance and support for design and implementation of the dashboard to support the local Cox’s Bazar office to enable two-way communication with affected populations using IVR systems, SMSs, social media, and others as relevant.
- Manage the relationship with the technical team and track the development of the platform, making sure that deadline are respected, and that feedback are incorporated into the development of the dashboard.
- In coordination with the Team lead in Cox’s Bazar, conduct remotely User Center design workshops with the local team to test the dashboard functionalities as they are developed.
- Ensure that lessons learned from project activities, specifically on the use of ICTs and citizens feedback, are recorded and shared internally.
- Contribute to overall written program reporting for a variety of funders.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Fluency in spoke and written English.
- Very good working knowledge of the mandates and modalities of the international humanitarian sector including the UN system.
- Excellent familiarity with new media and new digital applications for citizen journalism and information access.
- Very good working knowledge of the mandates and modalities of the Volunteer Technical Communities sector including the Standby Task Force, Crisis Commons, Humanitarian Open Street map, InSTEDD, Sahana, MapAction, GISCorps, to name a few.
- Extensive experience working in the use of ICTs for relief operations in challenging environments, including cyber-security and privacy.
- Significant experience using social media and ICT4D in humanitarian emergency responses.
- Significant experience with social media, mobile technology, crowdsourcing, crisis mapping and information management software.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise authoritatively with figures from software companies, online media, Internet companies, and other relevant actors, when required.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, both written and oral.
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful situations under difficult living conditions with respect for basic security rules.
- An understanding of the vision/mission, core values and objectives of Internews.
- Psychological resilience and a sense of humor.
- Relevant university degree or working experience in ICT4D.
- Knowledge of Agile Development methodologies, Human Centered design and User Centered Design methodologies
- Knowledge of programming, customization of open source software, database management and web design will be an asset.
About the Organization
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.