The responsibility for independent evaluation at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB or the Bank) rests with the Independent Development Evaluation department (BDEV or IDEV). The department’s overarching mission is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank’s interventions. It does so through supporting both learning and accountability, as well as promoting a culture of evaluation within the Bank and its Regional Member Countries.
BDEV hereby invites individual consultants - with extensive expertise in PPP issues, – to indicate their interest in the following assignment: support to the evaluation of PPP support of the AfDB within the Country Strategy and Program Evaluation (CSPE) in Cape Verde (2008-2017).
The main tasks will involve: a) contributing to finalize the evaluation inception report, b) leading the evaluation of the PPP interventions, including data collection and analysis, stakeholders’ consultation, preparation of a stand-alone annex and c) providing inputs to the overall evaluation report managed by the BDEV Task Manager.
Objectives of the Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is to provide support to the evaluation of the Bank’s portfolio on PPP in the framework of the CSPE in Cape Verde, referred to above. The Consultant is expected to support the evaluation, through the planning, inception, data collection and analysis phases. For the write-up stage, as deliverables, the consultant should provide a preliminary desk review, a stand-alone annex for the CSPE report and key inputs to the overall evaluation report.
Qualifications and Experience required
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in project finance or private sector development, or related.
- At least 15 years of experience in international development, with focus on, particularly in middle income countries, specific previous experience in PPP in the energy sector is desirable.
- Knowledge and working experience with donors, more specifically Multilateral Development Banks;
- Solid understanding and experience of evaluation principles and practices, including the use of Theory of Change and the development of strategic lessons and recommendations.
- Experience in researching, analyzing, consolidating, and presenting quantitative and qualitative data.
- Organizational and task management skills, ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge and demonstrated interest in development of the African continent is considered an advantage.
- Ability to work in a multicultural and fast paced environment.
- Motivated, diligent and able to work independently and within a team.
- Fluency in English and/or French, working knowledge of Portuguese is desirable.
In addition, following the regulations of the Bank the consultant must be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.