Requisition ID: req2117
Job Title: Regional Emergency Disease Response Mechanism Specialist
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Côte d’Ivoire-Abidjan
The IRC is seeking a Regional Emergency Disease Response Mechanism Specialist for the 44 months, 18 million GBP DFID-funded Tackling Deadly Diseases in Africa Programme (TDDAP). This programme will strengthen African countries’ capacity to prevent, prepare and respond to disease outbreaks, and work towards Global Health Security. Working with key international stakeholders, the programme responds to learning from recent epidemics, and aims to reduce the impact of disease outbreaks on African populations, and enhance compliance with International Health Regulations.
Applying an approach that strengthens health systems and institutions, and builds capacity to respond to high-risk epidemic diseases, the programme will work in six focal countries that have high vulnerability to disease outbreaks, which may include Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire, Cameroon, Niger, Central Africa Republic, Chad, Mauritania and Mali.
Key programme objectives will be to:
(i) strengthen countries’ ability to comply with International Health Regulations (IHRs) based on assessment and prioritisation
(ii) improve governance and accountability of public health systems
(iii) support improvements to build data, evidence and accountability at national and sub-national levels
(iv) support countries’ health systems and institutions to develop contingency mechanisms should a pre-crisis arise.
The Regional Emergency Disease Response Mechanism Specialist will be based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire and will have dual reporting lines to the TDDAP Programme Director, also based in Abidjan, and the IRC’s Director of Emergency Health, based in Geneva. The Regional Emergency Disease Response Mechanism Specialist will lead the TDDAP Emergency Response Mechanism, working in close collaboration with the Government, WHO, UN agencies, and NGO partners.
S/he will have the following responsibilities:
* Provide operational and technical leadership to the TDDAP Emergency Response Mechanism
* Establish standard operating procedures for the TDDAP Emergency Response Mechanism
* Establish data management systems for the TDDAP Emergency Response Mechanism, including a system for recording and classifying emergency requests.
* Establish relevant networks and connections to other global, regional and national Emergency Response Mechanisms and their implementers/donors
* Provide training on SOPs for the TDDAP Emergency Response Mechanism for all relevant partners
* Escalate incidents to the relevant regional mechanisms or raise alert within the project to trigger emergency funding of TDDAP emergency response mechanism.
* Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
* Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This position is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding and is anticipated to begin in July or August 2018.
* An advanced university degree in health-related field, management, emergency, humanitarian, disaster management or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
* Specialized training in emergency management; specific training in humanitarian response.
* Minimum of 5-8 years’ experience in emergency management and operations, with proven experience in emergency response.
* Previous experience in supporting emergency operations centres or incident management systems in a public health emergency response.
* Relevant work experience for nongovernmental/humanitarian organizations or UN agencies.
* Demonstrated knowledge of the rapid response operations and their implementation in emergencies as related to public health.
* Ability to maintain professional composure and calm under pressure.
* Ability to deal with competing demands and requests.
* Planning, organizing, and leadership skills
* Excellent skills in Microsoft Office software applications; Excellent presentation skills
* Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local health representatives.
* Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment, displaying patience, compassion and diplomacy.
* Ability to be innovative, flexible, and adaptive.
* Ability to travel to challenging conditions and ability to work under difficult, high pressure situations.
* Proficiency in English and French
* Ability to travel up to 60% time to over Sub-Saharan African countries