Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
As a member of IRI’s Finance team, the Regional Financial Specialist will provide support to Field Accountants in the office of IRI’s Divisions; reviewing payments, expenses, documents and providing training on IRI’s policies and procedures.
- Bachelors or equivalent in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years relevant experience in a finance role.
- Professional experience with expense report review and regulation compliance.
- Experience training staff on financial processes and reporting.
- Flexibility to assume a workload that frequently necessitates an adjustment of priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task, and ability to work under time pressures.
- Strong attention and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- NGO experience preferred.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Reviews expenses submitted by the field offices in assigned portfolio for reasonableness and compliance with GAAP, funder, and IRI regulations.
- Provides IRI process support, including training of Field Accountants on employee setup, AP bills, entries and approvals, expense reports and program reports.
- Supports Program Accountants in award management.
- Serves as POC for resources outlining local regulations of the countries in assigned portfolio.
- Serves as POC for compliance with local regulations, registration and operations (e.g. bank, taxes, VAT, local government reporting, payment conditions and currency restrictions); employment regulations, benefits (time off, severance), salary and tax calculations (from gross to net), employment termination conditions; understanding of taxable and non-taxable benefits (e.g. per diem); withholding tax for contractual services.
- Trains Field Accountants and explains IRI accounting processes of monthly reporting to DC, rolling budgets, exchange rate calculations, imprest summary forms, filing system, bank and cash operations.
- Conducts financial review of field offices in the assigned portfolio.
- Advises on opening and closing of field offices.
- Assists Field Accountants and RPD’s in the local audit and funder reviews of the field offices.
- Remains in constant communication with assigned field offices.
- Provides updates to the Field Accountants and local employees on changes in IRI policies and accounting procedures.
- Comunicaciones with DC Finance team and provides constant updates on any issues, questions, or concerns in the Field Offices.
- Provides temporary support to other Field Offices when another Regional Financial Specialist is on leave.
- Preforms other duties as assigned.
About the Organization
IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.