Roads for Development Phase 2
Long Term / Short Term: Long Term: up to June 30, 2022
ARF Classification: C3
Position Location: R4D2 Head Office, Port Vila, Vanuatu
Reports to: Senior Engineering Adviser
The responsibility of the Regional Operations Engineer is to provide technical assistance, guidance and mentoring to the Public Works Department’s (PWD) Divisional offices to support capacity building of staff and the Department towards the role of a Network Manager.
This will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
- Provide support to PWD Divisional offices as required including; cost estimation, tender and contract documentation preparation, works supervision, certification of completed works and general contract administration;
- Provide support for quality control of works to build the capacity of PWD Divisional staff to undertake this role;
- Ensure Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) considerations are addressed in works planning and implementation;
- Support PWD Divisional offices to monitor the execution of Annual and or Long Term Workplans;
- Ensure works adhere to PWD Roads and Bridges Design Guides, Standards and Specifications and ensure climate change and disaster resilience, environment and safety considerations are addressed in all works undertaken;
- Support the introduction of innovative construction techniques, equipment and materials to enhance the efficiency, cost-effectiveness and sustainability of PWD works including the trailing of new technologies to enhance construction supervision and monitoring;
- Provide technical training and ongoing on-the-job mentoring for PWD Divisional Managers, technical staff, operators, private contractors and communities.
Reports to, works with and receives strategic direction from the Senior Engineering Adviser.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant qualifications in civil engineering, ideally with a focus on maintenance and construction of road transport infrastructure in both urban and rural settings;
- Demonstrated experience in delivering road maintenance/improvement projects, with at least 10 years’ experience undertaking these projects;
- Demonstrated experience working within public sector agencies in the Pacific or similar settings;
- Demonstrated experience in developing capacity of government agencies and staff, ideally in the Pacific or similar setting;
- Demonstrated experience in contract project management and administration, procurement and plant utilisation;
- Proven capability in trialing innovations in construction techniques, equipment, materials and technology to improve construction outcomes;
- Understanding of and commitment to Australian aid safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion;
- Detailed understanding of safety and environmental protections on road programs;
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication and relationship management skills.
Key Performance Indicators:
- MIPU-PWD prepares and executes Annual or Long-Term Work Plans aimed at maximising Vanuatu’s Rural Access Index (RAI);
- Achievement of the Rural Road Access Framework (RRAF) RAI targets;
- High levels of contractor and community compliance with PWD contract requirements, GESI and environmental safeguards;
- Improvement in operational efficiencies of PWD;
- Increased self-reliance of PWD to successfully deliver works.
How to Apply
Please submit your application before COB 11th November 2019 to: Rami Alkhatib: Rami.Alkhatib@adamsmithinternational.com and Robert Willis: Robert.Willis@r4d2.com
Applications should include a two page cover letter addressing the selection criteria, a CV of no more than four pages and two professional referees.
About the Organization
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that address the big challenges facing the world.
Our core team of staff and technical experts, in multiple offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.
That is the way we work and that commitment was formally recognised when we became a certified B Corp. The certification indicates we balance profit and purpose through the highest standards of transparency and accountability as well as social and environmental performance.