Opportunity in Washington, DC
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted through ZemiTek partnered with CAMRIS International, to recruit and hire a qualified individual for the following position:
Title: SD Program Team Assistant (Consultant)
United States Agency for International Development/Bureau of Africa/Office of Sustainable Development
This consultancy is a short term (50 days) position.
With more than 30 years’ experience providing information technology (IT) and management consulting services worldwide, Rosa Caldas, formed ZemiTek in 2007. Based in the Washington, DC metro area, ZemiTek delivers solutions to the federal government by supporting agencies such as USAID, US Patent and Trademark Office, US Department of Justice, US Department of Agriculture, and Department of Homeland Security, among others; and internationally to their missions in Africa, Asia, Europe and Eurasia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Middle East.
CAMRIS International is among the top 20 USAID contractors for the third year in a row. CAMRIS realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective programs and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, CAMRIS combines proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world.
The Bureau for Africa (AFR) is the USAID/Washington operating unit charged with managing USAID economic development and trade programs in Africa. The Office of Sustainable Development (SD) has the responsibility of providing technical support for these programs. AFR/SD’s technical responsibilities span across all areas of economic development – economic growth, trade, investment, agriculture, the environment, biodiversity, water, democracy and governance, peace and security, education, health, and gender equality and inclusive development. In providing technical support AFR/SD has articulated three development objectives – (1) generating new ideas to improve these development programs, (2) influencing USAID missions in Africa, African governments, and development partners to improve their policies and programs by using better information, and (3) strengthening the capacity of African institutions to develop and implement evidence-based policies. AFR/SD identifies and addresses crosscutting development issues and opportunities, such as gender equality and women’s empowerment; tracks budget resources across the continent; and provides guidance on overall program and budgeting strategy.
The Bureau for Africa’s SD/Program team seeks an energetic, organized program specialist for a short-term assignment. The Specialist will provide support for SD’s Program team and the SD management team (Front Office) as needed. As a critical member of the AFR/SD Washington, DC office, the incumbent will work under the supervision of the Supervisory Program Officer and will work closely with both the Program team and the full technical staff across SD. The Program Specialist provides support to technical staff, performing a variety of both complex and routine administrative and analytical duties. These duties range from administrative-type tasks such as scheduling briefings, conferences, and meetings, and maintaining program files; to more complex analytical tasks such as collecting, compiling, and analyzing data for various program documents; reviewing, analyzing, summarizing, and disseminating guidance and other pertinent information such as articles and reports; and coordinating, reviewing, and drafting briefers for senior officials. The Program Specialist handles several tasks simultaneously, ranking tasks in order of importance and impending deadlines, and identifies for SD technical staff and management any items that require their attention. The individual must develop a working knowledge of USAID policies, guidelines, and programs, as well as Agency practices and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Coordinate SD and/or AFR-level clearance of AFR/SD-originated documents including briefing papers, memos, scheduling proposals, talking points, correspondence, planning documents, reports, etc.
* Coordinate SD and/or AFR clearance of documents originated by other bureaus and offices within the Agency including briefing papers, memos, scheduling proposals, talking points, correspondence, reports, draft guidance, etc.
* Maintain SD’s task tracking system and maintain knowledge of general office automation software, practices, and procedures.
* Assist with collection, review, and finalization of AFR/SD budget, planning, and reporting data using foreign assistance planning and reporting systems. Troubleshoot system issues.
* Utilize existing Agency materials to draft responses for requested information.
* Coordinate, write and/or edit internal and public documents, speeches, talking points, and other products (including social media) about AFR/SD programs in Africa aimed at targeted audiences such as the Congress, think tanks, private sector, media, etc.
* Work with AFR/SD staff to keep the AFR/SD intranet pages current by reviewing for old content, providing new content, and requesting other changes as needed.
* Coordinate dissemination of messaging/information/knowledge working with Knowledge Management and Communications Advisor and key USAID staff in Washington and the field.
* Create and distribute agenda for Program team weekly meetings.
* Serve as note taker for SD’s weekly division chiefs’ meeting (upon request).
* Support logistics for conferences, meetings, and events for the AFR/SD Front Office, Program team, and other SD teams as needed.
* Support Supervisory Program Officer in ensuring follow through on key Program team tasks.
* Map current filing protocols in SD.
* Work with Zemitek to maintain the customer service survey data.
* Other duties as assigned.
DELIVERABLES AND ACTIVITIES
* Maintain SD’s task tracking system: record and update status of all pending internally and externally generated tasks.
* Draft and/or circulate briefing papers, talking points, and presentations for review and finalization by AFR/SD.
* Participate in weekly Program team meeting: Create and disseminate agenda.
* Participate in weekly SD division chiefs meeting upon request: take and disseminate meeting notes.
* Assist with the coordination of the FY 2019 Operational Plan due in the Summer/Fall of 2018.
* Assist in the planning and execution of in-briefings for the new SD Office Director in July/August 2018.
* Assist Program team with coordination of conferences, meetings, training events, and other essential functions that improve productivity and assist technical teams.
* Timely customer service surveys sent to field missions and data collected regularly, available for review and use by USAID.
* Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor’s degree with 2 - 3 years of professional office experience required.
* Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, Internet, and Google applications (in particular G-mail, Google Docs, and Google Sheets) required.
* Experience in the use of database applications is recommended.
* Experience drafting persuasive memos, briefing papers, and other professional documents under pressure/deadline.
* Strong editing experience.
* Outstanding organizational and planning abilities.
* Ability to work effectively with teams in a faced-paced environment, often under tight deadlines.
* Availability to work in the office at 1001 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC from the core hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM required.
* Facility Access or Secret clearance is required.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and two professional writing samples (examples: memo, talking points, social media post, article, or other document - not a thesis or academic paper).
This is an opportunity for employment or a contract, but we reserve the right to make no selection or award.
ZemiTek and CAMRIS International offer competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits.
ZemiTek and CAMRIS International are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.