Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The Senior Advisor provides strategic support for the Africa Division and is responsible for assisting the Senior Management and Regional Director to expand IRI’s reputation for thought leadership on democracy and governance issues in Sub-Saharan Africa, engage and expand networks within the Sub-Saharan Africa and democracy and governance community on behalf of the Africa Division, and to oversee and participate in the implementation of strategic and thematic programming initiatives for the Africa Division.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field. Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Ten or more years related experience, or equivalent combination, working in or with a focus on Sub-Saharan Africa and democracy and governance issues, to include engaging with stakeholders and thought leaders in Sub-Saharan Africa and in Washington, DC.
- Working knowledge of politics, economics, history and culture of the sub-Saharan Africa region; experience working with political systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and history of participation in strategic meetings, working groups, and events in Washington, DC, Europe and Sub-Saharan Africa on democracy and governance issues. Strong profile as a subject-matter expert required.
- Proven ability to write effective proposals, reports, procedures, complete required forms, and maintain complete and accurate documentation.
- Ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other donors or relevant audiences.
- Experience identifying complex problems and developing creative solutions.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet regional needs.
- Willingness to travel to remote and sometime difficult environments.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong communications and presentation skills in English and French required.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Works with the Director with input from Division staff to develop and manage short and long term strategies in alignment with IRI strategic goals for the Africa Division and/or regional/country strategies.
- Assists the Director with external relations for the Africa Division in Washington, DC and Sub-Saharan Africa, including with US and African government representatives, the media, thought leaders, political party leaders, civic leaders, etc.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy, including by organizing and participating in high-level events on democracy and governance issues in Sub-Saharan Africa, and producing regular analytical content for external publication.
- Publishes and/or co-authors Op-Ed, blogs, and other written articles to demonstrate IRI’s Africa experience and expertise.”
- Travels to other countries as needed to support key programming and business development initiatives, including political and program assessments, high-level program activities, donor and USG/host government meetings, election observations, etc.
- Serves as a resource for Africa program staff, including in the drafting of analytical pieces for external publication and the development of innovative and advanced program ideas for program development or and new funding outreach efforts.
- Provides regional and technical expertise to support Africa Division business development initiatives, to include the design of projects and the drafting of proposals.
- Analyzes and reports on political and related developments in specific countries to provide regional and country analysis
- Contributes to identification and analysis of new funding opportunities.
- Conducts and leads implementation of specific strategic, thematic and research projects, on topics such as electoral violence, civic and voter education, and the role of political parties and civil society in African democracies, as designated by the Regional Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About the Organization
IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.