Senior Business Advisor
Business Link Pacific
- Based in Auckland with frequent travel to the Pacific islands
- Full-time position, until 31 December 2021
- Provide business advisory and capacity building solutions
With corporate offices in the USA, Spain, and Australia, DT Global’s portfolio - from water infrastructure to economic growth to conflict and transition programming - spans more than 90 countries. We have dedicated project offices in 31 countries and talented technical experts in every region of the world who work collaboratively to ensure seamless programming across continents and technical sectors.
The private sector is the engine room of economic growth in the Pacific. Most private sector businesses in the region are small or medium enterprises. There is a strong need for business advisory services, technical assistance, training and mentoring to enable small businesses to move to the next level and grow. The business advisory services that small businesses need include financial planning, accounting, business and strategic planning, human resource management, and product development and marketing.
The local market for business advisory services in Pacific Island Countries (PICs) is underdeveloped and SMEs often lack the knowledge or financial means to access services to help their business grow. At the same time, existing business advisory service providers either don’t offer services that are of the quality needed, are not affordable to small businesses or tend to focus on catering for the needs of large or foreign owned businesses.
With the support of DT Global, The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is addressing this market gap through the implementation of Business Link Pacific (BLP), a multi-country Private Sector Development activity that is developing the market for commercial business advisory services in PICs targeted to the SME sector.
BLP adopts an innovative and sustainable systems-based approach to SME capability development and growth in the Pacific through the establishment and implementation of Pacific business support services networks and four support systems:
- A Quality system of competency assessments, coaching, mentoring and technical assistance to improve the quality of business advisory services.
- A Marketing system that connects SMEs to Business Advisory Service Providers (BASPs), that includes the SME diagnostic and referral service, the BLP Portal - an online platform that promotes and connects service users to providers - and a Subsidy Scheme, that discounts the initial cost of accessing business advisory services.
- A Sustainable Delivery system that provides access for SMEs and BASPs to a regional network of business advisory services including service providers, business mentoring, coaching, advice and technical assistance; self-sustaining and coordinated by In-Country Network Representatives.
- A Market Linkage system that facilitates and strengthens market linkages between NZ/PIC buyers and BASPs/SMEs (Generating new buyer interest and new ways of working with PIC SME value chains through partnership).
BLP has a multi-country approach, working across six countries (Vanuatu, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Solomon Islands and Cook Islands).
We are currently seeking a Senior Business Advisor to join our team to support expanded delivery of this Activity in 2020 and 2021.
Under the direction of the Activity Director, the Senior Business Advisor’s responsibilities include:
- Working across several countries to ensure uniformity and integration of approach and systems while at the same time providing sufficient operational flexibility in each PIC.
- Identify and work with In-country Network representatives (ICNRs) (primarily local Chambers of Commerce and Industry) to develop a Support and Training Plan to meet Activity requirements and delivery standards. Review and assess performance as part of the performance based contracting approach.
- Support the development of partnerships with key network stakeholders, such as financial institutions, government and industry groups and NZ delivery partners.
- Support the ongoing development of a competency assessment and accreditation programme for PIC-based BASPs.
- Coordinate with other PSD donor partners for networking a professional base of business advisory services.
- Working through the ICNRs, identify and attract BASPs to the Activity as target beneficiaries for technical skills development, and identify an eligible client-base of SMEs for support. Report on the performance of ICNRs and BASPs in delivering intended outcomes and SME feedback on service and value.
- Support the development and implementation of cost sharing arrangements (subsidy scheme) with recipient BASPs and SMEs for the supply of Activity-supported business advisory services, mentoring, training, and other relevant professional services.
- Work with the Activity’s ICT Knowledge Management Specialist to ensure all aspects of work has consistent branding, contributes to the overall communications strategy.
- Work with the M&E Results Measurement Advisor to ensure data collected and reported is accurate and meets the needs of MFAT, PIC governments and other stakeholders.
- Provide oversight and monitoring of the performance of third parties, including delivery of intended outcomes, MFAT’s safeguards and other obligations, and documentation of results.
- Support management cycle reviews to assess, learn and plan to improve year-on-year strategies and intervention design, including for each target sector.
- Ensure that operational activities are undertaken in a cost-effective manner, making best use of Activity resources.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- Advanced degree in business administration, management, economics or finance and proven skills and practical experience in planning, developing, and providing business advisory services.
- Current, established and relevant business networks across the Pacific and NZ, or ability to develop them quickly in order to position and build profile of the Activity, both with private sector and amongst development partners.
- Strong managerial, negotiation, coaching and communication skills with experience in leading, managing and mentoring teams in a similar context and experience in program management.
For further information and to apply, please visit our website at:
https://dt-global.com/company/careers/australia (job code 984) or click the Apply button below.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 17 Feb 2020 (11:59 pm Australian Central Standard Time)
Your application will need to include:
DT Global is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to child protection. We encourage women and men and people living with disabilities to apply