Requisition ID: req1549
Job Title: Senior Capacity Building Advisor
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Jordan-Amman - Shimesani
IRC is seeking a Senior Capacity Building Advisor for a two-year, $50 million humanitarian assistance program funded by USAID’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA). The program targets health and nutrition; water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH); and shelter activities throughout Southern and Central Syria to support conflict-affected populations in communities, camps, and transient sites. The consortium is designed to promote an integrated approach to addressing the ongoing health, nutrition, WASH, and shelter needs of affected populations and to provide a rapid response to acute emergencies such as new large-scale displacements. The Senior Capacity Building Advisor will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of capacity building for the program’s implementing partners inside Syria, working closely with the consortium’s shelter, WASH, and health/nutrition leads to identify and address organizational needs. The Senior Capacity Building Advisor will be responsible for ensuring overall quality of capacity building and participate in the Consortium governance structures, including the Program Coordination and Management Unit and the Consortium Capacity Building Working Group.
The Senior Capacity Building Advisor (SCBA) will focus on developing leadership, management, organizational development sustainable capacity in order to support high-impact, sustainable programs run by partner organizations. The SCBA will have responsibility for managing, designing, coordinating and implementing capacity building/organizational development project activities in coordination with other consortium members. As such s/he will work with a team of technical advisors who are responsible for the delivery of technical assistance (TA) in organizational capacity building in the areas of management and leadership to project implementing partners. The SCBA will design and implement capacity building programs for partner organizations; supervise M&E capacity building; assure quality; manage, support, and supervise consultants; and ensure continuous, measurable quality improvement in partner organizations. The SCBA will also coordinate and support all technical capacity building support to partner organizations in the area of health, and coordinate with/supervise the technical capacity building support provided by other consortium partners, including peer-to-peer learning among implementing partners working in Syria.
This position will be based in Amman and report to the Consortium Director and is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding. It is anticipated to begin in October 2018
Please note that this position will only be filled if the funding is awarded by the donor.
Working closely with the IRC’s Syria Partnership Unit to:
Facilitate and coordinate organizational reviews and provision of technical assistance to organizations in basic leadership and management and organizational development capacity, including but not limited to: human resource management; strategic planning; monitoring, evaluation and reporting; new business development; and, other management and leadership areas as needed.Ensure that the project develops, implements, and disseminates a strategy and practical approaches for optimizing capacity building for stronger national and civil society organizations, in line with IRC’s partnership principles and the Sub-Award Partnership Management System.
* Supervise and oversee the work of internal or external Technical Advisors to ensure that the work of the project and technical areas is well coordinated with core and field support work staff and partner organizations
* Work with the M&E Advisor to define specific, quantifiable performance indicators and targets for programs and reporting results. Support the M&E Partnership Manager in internal monitoring and evaluation, and provision of monitoring technical assistance to partner organizations.
* Coordinate with IRC staff to provide finance, business management and fundraising capacity building to partner organizations.
* Ensure that lessons learned are shared with the consortium & USAID/OFDA
* Lead the Consortium Capacity Building Working Group and participate in the Consortium Coordination and Management Unit and overall project management.
* MA in international development or other relevant social science.
* At least five years of experience working in capacity building for humanitarian programs, including US Government-funded programming, experience in Syria response preferred;
* Experience developing and delivering demand-driven capacity building programs, with expertise in remote delivery;
* Experience managing organizational capacity assessments, developing capacity building plans, and technical assistance approaches and tools;
* Expertise in leadership, management, and institutional capacity building;
* Demonstrated ability and experience in training and capacity building of individuals and teams in developing countries.
* Strong written and oral communication skills;
* Able to work remotely with diverse teams;
* Good organizational skills and ability to work independently; and
* Professional English language ability required; Arabic language skills a plus.