International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Senior Capacity Building Advisor
Department/Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports To: Chief of Party
Type: Regular Full-Time
IBTCI is currently seeking a Senior Capacity Building Advisor for USAID’s Supporting the Electronic Health Information Systems (eHIS) in Ethiopia to Improve Health Outcomes Activity. The Senior Capacity Building Advisor will contribute to the activity meeting it’s intended goals to 1) support the digitalization, integration and scale-up of priority health information systems at all levels, 2) work with the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to improve use of data to inform health planning, performance management, and delivery decisions across the health systems, 3) improve effective transfer of knowledge and skills to the GoE and build the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MoH) staff to facilitate adoption of identified best practices, and 4) collaborate with other donors and various stakeholders within GoE to increase commitment by global stakeholders to align and invest in integrated health information systems and tools, strengthen data use, and health workforce capacity. The activity will support strategic objectives of USAID, the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI).
The position is contingent upon successful award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the Sr. HMIS Advisor, provide programmatic guidance and technical assistance to strengthen capacity building in EHIS in all levels in the public health sector, including data use, data system architecture and HIS governance;
- Responsible for a wide variety of activities related to identifying, managing, packaging, and disseminating key information to advance technical practice in the areas of HMIS, health research, and monitoring and evaluation;
- He/she will focus on building national, provincial, district, and facility level capacity with HMIS data for evidence-based programming in collaboration with a wide array of stakeholders;
- Identifying M&E knowledge or capacity gaps among GoE EHIS stakeholders, USAID technical staff and other local partners;
- Constructing an EHIS capacity development plan, which includes providing regular EHIS technical assistance and training for GoE technical staff and stakeholders;
- Providing technical assistance and training on new standardized monitoring and reporting systems;
- Identifying opportunities and build local EHIS capacity to include, but not be limited to, host-country government officials, NGOs, and civil society organizations;
- Leading the development of the TA and training work plans;
- Leading the development of EHIS training materials;
- All other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Party.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Substantial knowledge and ability in strengthening HIS capacity at all levels in the public health sector;
- Knowledge and ability to identify, manage, pack, and disseminate key information to advance technical practice in the areas of HMIS, health research, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Knowledge and ability to lead and support capacity building activities, produce resources and guidance, and facilitate the uptake of improved practices generated through the four objectives of this award;
- Knowledge and ability to build national, provincial, district, and facility level capacity to use HMIS data for evidence-based programming in collaboration with a wide array of stakeholders;
- Ethiopian national strongly preferred.
- Ability to conceive of, plan, and lead a world-class HIS capacity building strategy to ensure all stakeholders related to this contract have the right information at the right time in the right format to achieve contract objectives;
- Ability to serve as a capacity building expert to guide and support USAID, GOE, and other key stakeholders in support of the contract objectives;
- Ability to communicate technical data and information (including health research methods and statistical analysis) to non-technical audiences to support data-informed decision making, advocacy, and other activity objectives;
- Ability to deliver engaging and innovative trainings on capacity building and organizational learning.
Education: Master’s degree in social sciences, public health, statistics, health informatics, knowledge management, or a related area from an accredited institution.
Working Environment: Work is performed in a typical corporate office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 25 lbs.
Travel: Travel throughout Ethiopia as necessary.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.