Overview of project
For an upcoming European Commission (EC) funded project we are looking for a senior expert/consultant in local governance and decentralisation in Bhutan. The overall objective of the project is to assist Bhutan in achieving the reforms envisaged in its 11th and 12th Five Year Plans and provide technical assistance and studies in support of sound implementation (including communication aspects) of the EU-bilateral development cooperation strategy in Bhutan, in the sectors of: Renewable Natural Resources including Climate Change Response and Local Governments and Decentralisation, through complementary support to the ongoing European Union (EU) budget support programmes.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Provide high-quality technical expertise, including capacity building actions, to improve implementation of the programmes financed by the EU Local governance and decentralization sector;
- Design the successor programme for the Local Governance Sustainable Development Programme (LGSDP 2013-2018);
- Facilitate and improve policy dialogue and engagement between the EU and Royal Government of Bhutan in the cooperation policy areas through dialogue facilitation, training, workshops, research and studies, including sector policy assessments under budget support in local governance and decentralisation;
- Conduct studies in the Local Government sector, in close coordination with the Royal Government of Bhutan (RGoB);
- Capacity building of the National Statistical Bureau and the statistical system at central and local levels;
- Strengthening of local level data collection and treatment of data in the targeted by the EU budget support programmes;
- Develop innovative solutions to be used by RGoB for Local Governments sectors (e.g. development of gender-disaggregated information system, development of institutional linkages with tertiary institutions/private institutes for local governance related research, development and capacity building, tools for better documents, archiving and administration of documents in the Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs and a few Local Governments,) and sustainable development goals in the Local Governments plans and programmes;
- Contribute to the preparation of as well as participation to the policy dialogue between the EU and RGoB and in particular but not limited to, preparation/participation to the joint annual review meetings of the two EU Budget Support Programmes in Bhutan.
- Master degree in the field of Social/Political Sciences, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, related discipline or the equivalent of ten (10 years of experience in the field of Local Governance / Decentralization;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in collaboration with government ministries in developing countries and minimum of 3 years’ experience working in capacity building project management (technical assistance and training) including planning, budgeting and progress monitoring;
- Coordination and communication skills to link both technical and conceptual aspects relevant to the Local Governance/Decentralisation as evidenced by 3 previous assignments;
- Excellent skills in drafting reports and/or Studies as evidenced by 5 previous assignments requiring such deliverables;
- Excellent English expression both orally and in writing, knowledge of Dzongkha language is an asset;
- Has experience on cross-cutting issues such as civil society, gender and climate change, statistical evidence as demonstrated by at least 2 technical assistance projects in one of the cross-cutting areas listed;
- Proven knowledge of EU project management procedures by the participation in at least 1 EU project.
- Professional experience in South Asia or Bhutan would be an advantage.
Terms of Appointment
This is a consultancy assignment for 200 days spread over 30months. Consultancy fee is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 20 July 2018 if you wish to be considered for this assignment. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
About the Organization
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV's operation visit our website: www.snv.org