Requisition ID: req1257
Job Title: Senior Coordinator, Research
Sector: Research & Development
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
IRC reaches over a million children annually with education and child protection programs in 25 countries around the world. The Education technical unit defines the vision and strategic priorities for all of IRC’s education a programs. The team provides evidence-based and contextually-relevant technical support to programs, with the goal of ensuring they are technically sound and achieving the outcomes we seek.
The Research, Evaluation and Learning Unit spearheads IRC’s work to conduct and use research, cost analysis, and monitoring data to inform decision making and improve effectiveness throughout the organization and in the broader humanitarian field.
This position will be a member of the Research, Evaluation and Learning Unit and work closely with the Education Unit to advance the research on education, with responsabilities that will include analyzing data from impact evaluations, writing reports, providing support for business development proposals, and implementing and publishing high-quality research.
This position will provide technical support to the DFID EiE Project monitoring, evaluation and research. This includes analyzing data and writing reports for the impact evaluation of the tutoring and NFLC programs, as well as other small studies in other projects.
The role reports to the Senior Researcher for Education in the Evaluation and Learning unit and works closely with the Education Technical Unit.
1. Work in the analysis and reporting of research conducted as part of DFID’s EiE project in Nigeria
* Quantitative/ qualitative research to explore the effects of Non-Formal Learning Centers and a tutoring intervention on the literacy, numeracy, socio-emotional skills and transition outcomes of children in Nigeria
* Implementation research to look at how different aspects related to the quality of the implementation affect different outcomes for different types of students
* Measurement research to assess the reliability and validity of outcome and quality of implementation tools and establish protocols for improvementProvide technical input for M&E team to ensure that the project obtains high quality data for the purposes of research
2. Advise and assist M&E teams on calculating indicators and setting up processes for high quality data collection
3. Work with an internal team focused on education research moving our education research priorities forward.
4. Contribute to dissemination of research findings by writing blogs, briefs, and publications in academic journals and practitioner-focused outlets;
5. Provide support in business development processes for research, including gathering information ahead of proposals.
6. Collaborate with colleagues within the education team, research team and R&D team, and within other IRC departments, in pursuit of the tasks above
7. Other tasks as negotiated
* PhD or MA in education, economics or related field
* Knowledge of causal inference methods
* Strong statistical skills (multi-level modeling and confirmatory factor analysis is expected, structural equation modeling and latent class modeling is highly desirable) and experience assessing the reliability and validity of measures. Experience or expertise in qualitative research a plus.
* Minimum five years of progressive experience in education research and/or relevant practice
* Demonstrated experience with business development
* Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment
* Solid organizational skills: the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment;
* Interest in and ability to think and plan at the ‘big picture’ level;
* Fluent in English; French or Arabic language a plus
* Standard office work environment
* Preference for NY or DC, but negotiable