Job DescriptionPact Overview
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.Department Overview
Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The (Integrated) Program Advancement team contributes to this by:
Delivering on our promise to global quality and impact via integrated programs
Growing & diversifying our global portfolio integrating the private, public and social sectors
Promoting our work globally to influence the private, public and social sectors
Pact is aspiring to be a “fourth sector” entity as such we are pro-actively looking for the Global Health Senior Director as a “strategic hire” who will set the vision and lead Pact’s global health portfolio, focusing on building strong and sustainable health and community systems in low and middle-income countries through a strategic combination of innovation and evidence-based approaches to accelerate development and achieve results equal to or better than those of mature economies, in less time.
The Global Health Senior Director will help to ensure we see incremental improvement of our core global health programs in resource poor settings by exploring new “business -models” while simultaneously ensuring that we continue to meet the needs of the ‘marginalized’ and poor communities with health as one of our outcomes and indicator for success. Lead and direct the development and implementation of technical frameworks, strategies and procedures for mainstreaming quality and innovation in Pact’s Health Portfolio projects, assuring quality implementation through rigorous monitoring and evaluation to strengthen Pact’s project and program results, organizational impact, and improve health around the world. Build and shape Pact’s line of products, approaches and services to position Pact to be a leader in global health in context of systemic solutions. S/he will be an active member of the Integrated Program Advancement Team, which advises the head of Integrated Program Advancement on a range of issues and advances Pact’s technical expertise.Key ResponsibilitiesPromote and Influence (Promoting our work globally to influence the private, public and social sectors) (30 %)
Grow and Diversify: Growing & diversifying our global portfolio integrating the private, public and social sectors (30%)
- Lading a global health strategy for Pact globally that guides all of our health programming
- As a key representative of Pact, communicate effectively and maintain a strong professional profile and relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, partners, and collaborators in the global public health arena. Monitor new technical and trend information and recommend Center and institutional response, as appropriate.
- Provide vision, strategic leadership, and practical experience to design, develop, and fund projects, deliver high-quality and effective technical assistance, develop and implement high-quality standards and networks across Pact and gain international support and recognition of Pact’s global health capabilities.
- Foster innovation of Pact’s tools and approaches in line with or leading global best practices; facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with Pact’s global team and partners.
- Play a representational role for Pact in relevant fora and work with field offices to increase their representation in global, regional, and local events.
- Facilitate a dynamic community of practice of Pact staff worldwide to build capabilities of Pact’s technical health staff dispersed worldwide.
Deliver- Delivering on our promise to global quality and impact via integrated programs (40%)
- Representation and profiling, building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, businesses, and other relevant stakeholders as needed to further Pact’s global health portfolio.
- Facilitate and contribute to successful new business development with identification and prioritization of opportunities, research, project design, and proposal development towards accomplishment of annual and multi-year goals and objectives.
- Ensure effective positioning, innovative technical strategies, and high potential project leadership and technical contributors.
- Ensure proposals submitted by Pact involving Global Health are technically sound and capitalize upon learning from other parts of Pact and the wider world.
- Collaborate with all Pact field offices to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen Pact’s position.
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of systems and strategies to support the short- and long-term improved health portfolio goals and objectives of Pact’s work in Global Health.
- Serve as change agent for leading a matrix model to achieve improved and sustainable health outcomes in targeted projects and countries while leveraging innovative and global solutions, applications, and capacity.
- Lead and oversee the successful development and implementation of technical assistance, innovative standardization and knowledge exchange to strengthen PACT’s impact in targeted countries and global reputation as a thought leader and technical expert.
- Continuously strengthen and revise Pact’s Global Health tools and practices, focusing on quality and standards;
- Provide technical assistance and mentoring to field offices so that they better understand and are better able to meet industry standards and expectations of donors and to keep Pact’s promise, safeguarding Pact’s reputation for technical excellence and assure standards of quality are met.
- Working with field offices, provide technical oversight and quality assurance of project implementation to ensure the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and following Pact’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols.
- Provide, recommend, or arrange technical assistance upon request, drawing upon Pact’s global resource base as well as external consultants; provide oversight with field offices to ensure implementation impact.
- In collaboration with HR staff, ensure development and implementation of strategies to identify and achieve annual and multi-year staffing and short-term technical assistance goals. Contribute to efforts to deliver a global talent network to build and leverage Pact’s capacity and reputation. Drive a culture of excellence and accountability leveraging an effective and efficient organization structure and staffing matrix to achieve desired outcomes.
- Work closely with other Global Sector/Technical Directors to ensure integration across sectors and core competencies.
- Reputable leader with an advanced degree in medicine, nursing or public health, or a relevant discipline.
Skills and Abilities
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience at a senior management level leading complex, evolving, large-scale operations, tasks, and teams in international public health or development or relevant discipline.
- Extensive and successful field experience in developing countries in international public health or development, with demonstrated success working with multiple sectors and achieving programmatic and financial results.
- Demonstrated success as an inspirational manager who has successfully motivated staff from diverse backgrounds to achieve and sustain excellence.
- Demonstrated skills in team management and leadership.
- Demonstrated facilitation and program development skills
- Documented success in raising project funding with Measurable success in business and resource development with the U.S. government; experience with or European and multilateral, foundation, and other private sector funders desirable.
- Proven strategic planner and team leader with strong current technical knowledge, conceptual and analytical ability, good judgment, and adaptive, flexible capacity
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building competencies coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of developing countries, including experience and expertise in innovative program development and overcoming implementation challenges
- Energetic, creative individual with intellectual depth and high ethical standards
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of second language preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30 percent of the time
- High proficiency in supervising staff, including providing honest feedback and meaningful development opportunities
- Ability to mentor others and model successful management techniques and approaches
- Proficiency in at least one other language
- Publication of relevant journal articles, book chapters, or technical reports
About the Organization
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.