Senior Director, Programs
The Senior Director, Programs (SDP) is an integral part of CIVIC leadership. Reporting to the Executive Director (ED) and a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the SDP is responsible for the programmatic success of Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) ensuring program design and delivery, seamless team management, quality control, and evaluation. The SDP will oversee CIVIC’s regional and thematic programs, and work with program directors to continuously strengthen our work on behalf of civilians in conflict. When appropriate, the Senior Director of Programs will act as the external face of CIVIC with governments, the media, and the nonprofit community.
- Cultivate relationships with program staff by providing support, direction, and feedback.
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among program areas.
- Model behavior that is consistent with organizational culture
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
- Work with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to develop and periodically reassess CIVIC’s strategic plan including liaising with program staff to gather input and buy-in.
- Lead yearly programmatic planning process and development of all accompanying documents (narratives, logic models, M&E documents, etc.)
- Ensure program staff and projects are working within strategic plan and the mission of the organization.
- Provide information to ED for reporting to the Board of Directors.
Team Management and Development
- Oversee all programmatic recruiting endeavors in collaboration with program directors to ensure high quality human capacity and effective onboarding.
- Build the capacity of regional and thematic directors by creating and implementing streamlined processes.
- Create and implement performance evaluation system to evaluate the skill, experience, and professional development needs of all direct report staff with input into indirect reports.
- Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements across all projects, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all staff and projects.
Program Development and Implementation
- Work with program staff to plan the design and delivery of CIVIC’s programs –from inception to evaluation- and its activities in accordance with CIVIC’s mission and strategic plan.
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Design and implement a program management framework to effectively manage programs from conception to closing.
- Work with CIVIC’s Senior Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Advisor to develop a robust monitoring and evaluation system including a quality data collection and analysis system that is adhered to and used as a decision-making tool to ensure consistency across programs
- Work closely with the Senior Director, Policy & Advocacy (SDPA) to ensure effective collaboration and learning between the program team and the rest of the organization
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and in compliance with donor requirements.
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to manage risk.
- Report evaluation findings to the SMT and recommend changes to enhance programs, as appropriate.
- Act as a general subject matter expert with program staff advising on new and existing issues and opportunities as requested.
Development & Budgeting
- Support the ED and the Development Team in the identification of new opportunities, development of funding proposals, and subsequent reporting of program performance to ensure the continuous delivery of services.
- Manage the process of reporting on program performance for funders and the board of directors.
- Work with the Senior Director, Operations (SDO) to ensure that the programs operate within the approved budgets and grant agreements as well as monitoring and approving all budgeted program expenditures.
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.
About the Organization
Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.