Health & HIV Implementation Services Provider (HHISP) is managed by Abt Associates. The HHISP supports implementation of the PNG Health and HIV Program on behalf of the Australian Government, through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and the Government of PNG.
The National Department of Health (NDoH) is led by the Secretary for Health who reports to the Minister for Health and HIV/AIDS. The Department is structured into two major Divisions each led by a Deputy Secretary; National Health Planning and Corporate Services (NHP&CS) and National Health Service Standards (NHSS). While the NDoH has a significant routine workload and faces numerous challenges, the NDoH also has an extensive reform agenda.
Senior Executive Adviser
The National Department of Health is seeking a Senior Executive Adviser who will support the Secretary in the routine management of the Secretary’s Office and further address/develop key areas of reform through the provision of high level and strategic technical advice particularly in the areas of health financing, economics, planning and policy, human resources, industrial relations, information systems and general management.
Key activities of the role
- Providing strategic and risk management advice to the Secretary and Deputy Secretary, NHP&CS on a broad range of operational, strategic and reform issues;
- Work with the Senior Executive Management team to identify and develop key policy areas, support the preparation of policy documents, and participate in policy assessment and review processes as requested;
- The Adviser will act as a focal point for DFAT requests on issues that relate to the Office of Secretary and to the NDoH more broadly;
- Brief health sector partners and other organisations on policy initiatives and support all consultation processes.
- Tertiary qualifications in law, business or public administration, health management or similar field (post-graduate qualifications preferred);
- At least 10 years’ experience and/or education in health policy, legal frameworks, strategy development and management. Experience and understanding of the PNG health sector an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience producing accurate, timely and concise written products for senior government and non-government customers. Experience supporting ministerial correspondence an advantage;
- Experience living and working in cross-cultural environments, especially in Melanesian and/or Pacific environments.
About the Organization
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.