SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of a Senior Expert for Local Governance and Decentralization for an upcoming project providing technical assistance to the Government of Bhutan surrounding Capacity Development for Local Government and Fiscal Decentralisation and Rural Development and Climate Change Response. The Senior Expert will be based in Bhutan, working with the Team Leader in overseeing the overall planning, management and implementation of the project and ensuring effective cooperation and coordination with the Contracting Authority and other project stakeholders.
The Senior Expert in Local Governance and Decentralization will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Perform administrative, preparatory and ancillary tasks relating to planning, monitoring, reporting on project components, procurement and financial management.
- Liaise with the EU Delegation, Gross National Happiness Commission, specific line ministries, agencies at central and local levels and other key stakeholders;
- Support in the implementation of activities related to capacity building, training, policy dialogue for officials from department of local governance, civil servants from the districts and municipalities at local level and possibly for non-governmental organisations, in line with training plans developed under the project;
- Provide technical inputs related to local governance reform, local government policy analysis, institutional assessments, and decentralization;
- Draft reports and conduct studies on highly specialised areas related to local governance, law, policy assessments, and decentralization;
- Coordination of communications and the planning for regular meetings with ministries involved;
- Support to the planning, implementation and monitoring of all activities;
- Support the preparation of all deliverables as well as strong involvement in all activities in the annual work plans;
- Carry out activities and submit all outputs of the Inception and implementation phases;
- Fulfilment of financial management tasks in a timely and professional manner; and
- Fulfilment of all reporting requirements.
- Master degree in the field of Social/Political Sciences, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, Law or other Governance/Decentralisation related discipline or the equivalent of ten (10) years of experience in the field of Local Governance / Decentralization for a Bachelor’s degree holder.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in the field of Local Governance sector reform;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in collaboration with government ministries in developing countries;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in capacity building project management (technical assistance and training) including planning, budgeting and progress monitoring;
- Team Leader in at least 3 development projects related to development effectiveness and size as that of the current tender
- Experience working in at least one RNR policy analysis including institutional assessment as well as performance indicators and measurement;
- Experience on cross-cutting issues such as civil society, gender and climate change, statistical evidence as demonstrated by at least 2 technical assistance projects in one of the cross-cutting areas listed;
- Proven knowledge of EU project management procedures by the participation in at least 1 EU project.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Capacity to think and work politically, building strategic relationships and identify creative ways to address challenges and issues and respond to opportunities;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with and influence investors and senior business executives;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills;
- Coordination and communication skills to link both technical and conceptual aspects relevant to the Local Governance/Decentralisation sector as evidenced by 3 previous assignments;
- Excellent skills in drafting reports and/or Studies as evidenced by 5 previous assignments requiring such deliverables;
- Professional experience in South Asia would be an advantage;
- Professional experience in Bhutan and familiarity with the Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs/Local Governments and/or any other ministry of RGoB would be an advantage.
Project’s specific conditions:
This position in based in Thimpu, Bhutan.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the Organization
CowaterSogema is Canada’s largest and leading international development management consulting company specialized in international development. CowaterSogema has over 30 years of experience implementing government modernization and capacity building projects around the world, having completed more than 800 development projects in more than 80 countries. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.