Job Title/Grade: Global Health Practice Leader: Market Solutions for Health
Business Unit: Global Health
Reports to: Technical Vice President, Global Health
Date: January 22, 2021
Location: Bethesda, Maryland; Apsley, UK; Brussels, Belgium
Aligned with DAI’s broader mission and vision, the Global Health business unit promotes better health systems that foster quality and access, reduce threats, and promote healthier behaviors to improve lives globally. We believe lasting differences in health will come from working in partnership with stakeholders to apply contextually appropriate, multi-sectoral approaches to improve health outcomes. Our global health team and regional partners lead with technical expertise and local knowledge to deliver data-driven and tech-enabled solutions that respond to issues across the spectrum of care – from preparing for and responding to emerging pandemic threats to addressing critical health systems challenges such as workforce shortages. We partner with the private sector and have invested in a range of next-generation health technology innovators that lie along the health value chain. We work across a range of health areas including reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health; nutrition; clean water; malaria; neglected tropical diseases; and other communicable and noncommunicable diseases. In doing so we leverage DAI’s other core sectoral strengths in agriculture, food security, environment, governance, and private sector development to foster resilience, expand economic opportunity, and improve health outcomes through multi-sectoral, multidisciplinary programs.
To achieve these goals, we are looking to hire a senior professional to lead our Market Solutions for Health practice area. This position can be based in DAI’s Europe (London, Apsley, or Brussels) or USA (Bethesda) offices, with some additional flexibility for candidates with directly relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Overview of the Position:
DAI’s Market Solutions for Health (MS4H) practice focuses on market solutions to increase coverage of quality health services, at affordable costs to government and clients, and provide a reasonable return to private sector. Areas include: de-risking investment/market incentives for the private sector, helping countries become more private sector friendly, increasing available financing for health, and expanding and improving quality of health services.
DAI seeks a leader for the Market Solutions for Health Practice. The MS4H Practice Lead will direct DAI’s donor funded health programs engaging with the private sector, as well as identifying opportunities to partner with and/or invest in the private sector to pursue growth in health aligned with our mission. In doing so, we draw on capabilities within DAI’s Sustainable Business Group (working with private companies in multiple sectors including extractives, manufacturing, and agriculture to deliver sustainable development outcomes); and with DAI Capital (mobilizes private capital in frontier and emerging markets). The position is responsible for thought leadership and cultivating a network of clients, experts, and relevant partners on behalf of DAI.
The position is responsible for actively developing a robust new business pipeline and securing new work for DAI in this technical area. May serve as Project/Technical Director on projects (within assigned practice area or otherwise, based on practice area needs) having technical, financial, and compliance responsibility for the project; ensuring quality programming and achievement of development outcomes and client satisfaction.
· Actively leads efforts to win new projects/work with donor clients (e.g. USAID, FCDO, EU) as well as with commercial actors, and identify investment opportunities. Significantly contributes to the development and implementation of DAI Global Health’s new business pipeline. Stays abreast of opportunities and competition in Market Solutions for Health, capturing client and competitor intelligence and sharing information across the company.
· Develops and tests models to integrate market-based mechanisms to improve health outcomes. Potential activities include sourcing and developing shared value partnerships or financing vehicles with commercial and public-sector actors to deliver health outcomes.
· Participates in Global Health Senior Management Team and supports global health to deliver strategic results.
· On behalf of DAI, develops and maintains close relationships with relevant clients, potential partners and strategic recruits.
· Fosters learning and dissemination for Market Solutions for Health. Develops a MS4H thought leadership agenda that aligns to business development priorities, capture strategies for upcoming bids, and longer-term market positioning. Outreach may include publications, presentations, event participation, etc. to enhance DAI’s reputation and brand with our key clients.
· Grade 11: 11 years of professional development experience and a bachelor’s degree; 9 years of professional development of experience and a master’s degree; or 7 years of professional development experience and a PhD.
· Grade 12: 13 years of professional development experience and a bachelor’s degree, 11 years of professional development experience and a master’s degree; or 9 years of professional development experience and a PhD.
· Grade 13. 17 years of professional development experience and a bachelor’s degree; 15 years of professional development experience and a Master’s degree; or 13 years of professional development experience and a PhD
· Ability to take on both leadership and support roles in the development of plans, proposals and in carrying out work.
· Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals for USAID, FCDO or other international donor clients. Has the ability to work effectively across technical areas, to develop technical approaches that integrate or leverage resources in different parts of the company.
· Ability to travel to all of the countries in which DAI has projects for proposal reconnaissance and the provision of technical support to projects, barring times DAI Security has deemed travel unsafe. Travel requirement can be up to 33% of the time.
· Possesses technical knowledge and skills as evidenced by new business development, and project-level experience and success, publications, reports, and/or public presentations
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
· Demonstrated ability to work with and lead teams for winning new business and delivering excellent results to clients.
· Demonstrated success working in investment, business support services, and commercial sector to grow health enterprises in emerging or frontier markets.
· Demonstrated new business success with USAID, FCDO, EU, or other clients.
· Fluency in an additional language besides English, with Spanish, French or Arabic preferred.
Supervisory Requirements: May supervise Global Health Practice Specialists assigned to the Market Solutions for Health Practice Area.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.