The ongoing political and economic crisis in Venezuela has led to severe food and medicine shortages and left millions of Venezuelans in need of humanitarian aid in Venezuela as millions more have fled the country. In FY 2020, USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance provided over $295 million in assistance to the Venezuela regional crisis with just over $65 million of that provided inside Venezuela.
It is not possible for USG staff to conduct direct oversight and accountability over USAID funded programs inside Venezuela, and it is difficult to assess the effectiveness and impact of humanitarian efforts spread widely throughout the region. For these reasons, BHA is seeking a contractor to conduct monitoring and evaluation of BHA’s response to this humanitarian disaster in the region.
The Venezuela Monitoring & Evaluation Project will establish and undertake independent third-party monitoring inside Venezuela to increase BHA and partners’ understanding of the outputs, progresses, challenges, successes and lessons learned of selected projects. It will also conduct evaluations of humanitarian (and possibly development) efforts to address the crisis, both potentially inside Venezuela and in the region at large. It will support BHA and their partners in effectively tracking assistance efforts to ensure aid is achieving its goals. It will also solicit beneficiary feedback, improve the quality of partners’ data and monitor warehousing practices.
The Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for the coordination of the projects monitoring, evaluation, research and learning activities. This position is responsible for collecting qualitative and quantitative data from national and departmental activities carried out under the BHA portfolio. They will also provide feedback to the whole program team, in conceptualization of activity evaluations and will provide the Mission and its implementing partners with support in developing performance indicators and M&E plans.
· Work with BHA and Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) members to develop scopes of work for evaluations; recruit evaluation teams and oversee their evaluation work; support dissemination of evaluation findings. Serve as team leader for selected evaluations. Ensure the quality of all evaluation work conducted by the project.
· Work with BHA and DART members to develop performance indicators and M&E plans for the Venezuela Regional Crisis Response and BHA implementing partners to review and develop M&E plans for their BHA funded activities.
· Lead data quality assessments.
· Oversee efforts to build M&E capacity among USAID and implementing partner staff. Provide technical assistance as needed to build capacity.
· Supervise additional M&E staff, including potentially monitoring, evaluation and data management specialists.
· Master’s degree with seven (7) years working experience in a relevant field OR a bachelor’s degree with ten (10) years relevant experience.
· Seven (7) years on projects or with organizations conducting monitoring, evaluation and research.
· Five (5) years working on projects in the humanitarian, development, or transition field.
· Familiarity with USAID performance monitoring and evaluation guidelines (ADS 201)
· Rigorous time management and activity organization.
· Experience working on programs implemented in South America, particularly Venezuela.
· Spanish language fluency.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
Reasonable Accommodations: MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.