Project title: Technical assistance for the EU-South Africa Dialogue Facility
Brief description: The overall objective of the dialogue project is to strengthen relations between the EU and SA. Its purpose is to facilitate the implementation of priority aspects of the Agreement and the Strategic Partnership Joint Action Plan (SP-JAP) and raise awareness of the special relationship between the EU and SA. The project will also provide exporters with a guide that is aligned with Protocol 1 of the Rules of Origin.
Tasks under this assignment:
- Develop a brief project inception report (including work plan) based on the Terms of Reference and Dialogue project proposal including the briefing for the workshop/seminar;
- Support and facilitate the dialogue between relevant EU authority and SARS to establish a common understanding on the interpretation of Protocol 1 on Rules of Origin of the Agreement;
- Draft a report on the setting out best practices in the EU on the implementation of Rules of Origin in Protocol 1 of the Agreement;
- Facilitate (in SA) and draft a report on the outcome of the seminar on the common understanding of Protocol 1 on Rules of Origin which will include preparation, facilitation and a seminar report;
- At the end of each week he/she will engage with SARS and the Netherlands customs authority and record lessons of experience of the four SA customs officials.
- Join in the telecom/video-conferencing between the SARS officials and the Netherlands customs authority to be aware of discussions and process to incorporate these into the exporters’ guide;
- Draft an easy-to-read and graphically appealing exporters’ guide;
- Conduct a working sessions on the draft guide;
- Present the draft exporters’ guide to SARS, the dti, DAFF, and Netherland customs for comments;
- Draft a final exporters’ guide for approval by the Project Steering Committee; and
- Throughout the project provide monthly written progress reports to the Steering Committee with copy to Dialogue Facility PMU and EUD.
Duration of the assignment: 40 working days in the period 14 June 2018 – 31 March 2019 (indicatively)
Place of assignment: Home based in Europe with a workshop/seminar and working session in Pretoria, South Africa
It will be expected of the Snr NKE to attend workshop/seminar and working session (estimated for 2 x return economy air tickets from Europe to Johannesburg and respective per diems). Travel from home office to Amsterdam for 3 meetings (3 working days) with SARS and NCA.
- Relevant university degree, preferably Masters or Doctorate in the international trade field;
- Excellent research skills;
- A minimum of 10 years research experience and work in rules of origin or international trade work particularly rules of origin;
- Excellent facilitation skills;
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication and drafting skills in English;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and under pressure; and
- Strong computer literacy.
About the Organization
Human Dynamics is a leading European provider of consulting services for the public sector with more than 120 projects implemented in 30 countries worldwide. Currently, Human Dynamics and its 300 experts and consultants advise more than 40 ministries and public/government agencies worldwide. You are welcome on our website for more details: www.humandynamics.org