Requisition ID: req1992
Job Title: Senior Operations Coordinator
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Violence in Rakhine State began has driven over a half a million people from Myanmar across the border into Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Approximately 63% of the refugee population are women and girls, and 21% are children under 5. The speed and scale of the influx has resulted in an extreme humanitarian emergency. The IRC arrived in Bangladesh in September 2017 and initially implemented projects through partners. IRC will soon directly implement health and protection projects.
Under supervision of the Country Director, the Senior Operations Coordinator (SOC) oversees the management and delivery of effective operations within Bangladesh program in compliance with IRC and donor regulations. He/she sits on the SMT and is also responsible for maintaining and increasing performance quality throughout the operations team and ensuring stakeholders’ satisfaction by exercising service-oriented practices. Key responsibilities include supply chain, transport, ICT, safety and security, and administration management.
The SOC will be based in Cox’s Bazar town but will undertake frequent visits to areas south of Cox’s Bazar (Ukhiya, Teknaf, Leda) and Dhaka.
* Conduct interim compliance reviews of asset and inventory management, transport management, and contracts.
* Provide technical support to operations staff as needed.
* Collaborate with the Finance department to ensure that internal controls are met with minimum of bureaucracy.
* Review Purchase Request Tracking Sheet (PRTS) and online BvA reports on regular basis to ensure availability of up-to-date and accurate information. Act upon any delays in procurement or anomalies and provide regular communication and updates to requestors and budget holders.
* Foster good planning practices and a high level of collaboration between program and operations departments by implementing regular staff satisfaction surveys and feedback mechanisms.
* Carry out documented spot-checks of IRC warehouse(s) during field visits and provide recommendations for improvement.
* Ensure timely disposal of inventory on closed grants.
* Review all tendering processes including MPAs and MSAs and provide feedback and make sure that the policies and procedures of this function is complied
* Work with Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar teams to ensure processing of all expatriate staff travel and paperwork for various permissions.
* Track expatriate staff travel to ensure legality of presence in-country.
* Oversee provision of administration support for expatriate staff based in or visiting Bangladesh.
* Ensure the provision of reliable ICT systems and equipment including internet, computing and telecommunications and application of ICT policies and procedures.
* Ensure that all IT equipment is maintained and secure and an appropriate replacement schedule is in place
Documentation and Reporting
* Accountable for a proper tracking system of all IRC assets throughout the country; review assets on annual basis; finalize donor reports for assets and inventory and submit to the Grants Department on time.
* Implement file management and file retention policies and procedures.
* Review regular analyses to ensure cost efficiency across the program.
* Implement systems including checks and balances to increase transparency in procurement with a view to satisfying future audits and ensuring that real or perceived corruption, or inefficient use of funds, is minimized.
* Participate in grants meetings and provide effective support to programs. Support operations staff to develop and update procurement plans to ensure realistic lead times and delivery to meet program work plan timelines.
* In the case of expansion, ensure the development of field site operating budgets.
* Ensure operations needs and costs are appropriately captured in country operating budget.
* Contribute to the budget planning process, recommending logistics staffing levels, providing current costs for goods, facilities, and maintenance and support services.
* Participate and advise on feasibility (including budget aspect) of program proposals.
* Review BVAs and monthly transaction list for operational costs to ensure correct coding.
* Directly manage Supply Chain Coordinator, Government Liaison Officer, and Operations Officer, ensuring tasks are prioritized and completed successfully, and compliance standards are met.
* Discuss job expectations, set objectives and provide appropriate and timely feedback regarding performance, including timely implementation of the Mid-Year and annual performance management system for all direct-reports.
* Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
* Lead with commitment, integrity and accountability to the “IRC Way - Global Standards for Professional Conduct”.
* Ensure that orientation material are developed for all operations departments and that new hires receive orientation.
Training & Outreach
* Compile and develop training and orientation materials and guides for IRC staff related to operations areas
* Implement job and site-specific trainings to ensure that supply chain staff possess the knowledge and skills commensurate with their responsibilities
* Travel to field sites to provide technical support to field offices.
* Identify staffing and/or skill gaps and see that these gaps/needs are filled; support the recruitment of all senior operations staff and professional development training.
Key Working Relationships:
* Position Direct Reports to: Country Director
* Positon Technical Reports to: None
* Position directly supervises: Supply Chain Coordinator, Government Liaison Officer, and Operations Officer
* Position provides technical support: Operations Staff
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
* Internal: Senior Management Team, Leadership Team Members, Finance and Program teams; Human Resources.
* External: All stakeholders related to operations.
* Graduate Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or related field.
* At least 5 years’ experience managing operations, preferably within an INGO setting.
* Familiarity of NGO and donor (US government, European, UN) policies and regulations.
* Strong organizational skills, ability to coordinate and manage a diverse array of responsibilities
* Ability to function effectively in complex work environment, set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
* Flexibility and proven team player with ability to cultivate and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and other organisations.
* Ability to handle sensitive situations diplomatically with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
* Demonstrated experience in mentoring / capacity building of staff and commitment to staff training and development.
* Strong leadership qualities and willingness to exercise initiative. Ability to set example of leadership for staff in adherence to IRC management policies.
* Computer skills: MS office
* Fluency in spoken and written English, Bangla and knowledge of Rohingya language a plus.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Returning National Candidates: We strongly encourage national or returning national candidates to apply for this position. If you are a national of the Country in which this position is based and are currently located outside of your home country and possess over two years of international work experience, the Middle East Region has introduced an attractive remuneration package. The package includes competitive compensation, return flight to post, shipping allowance, temporary housing and a relocation allowance. Certain restrictions may apply. IRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff in our programs.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.