Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified Senior Technical Advisor - Basic Education/Foundational Skills candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded youth economic self-reliance and resilience program in Liberia. The activity anticipates targeting Liberian youth ages 15-29 in the counties of Montserrado, Grand Bassa and Lofa. The Senior Technical Advisor - Basic Education/Foundational Skills will be based in Monrovia and will provide high-quality technical inputs to strengthen basic reading, writing, and social emotional skills of Liberian youth via an integrated approach to youth development and to support improved management of alternative basic education at the ministry, county, and district levels.
Only citizens of Liberia or residents with work authorization will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party, provide technical direction for improving youth livelihoods by strengthening basic education and foundational skills and ensuring integration of these into broader program objectives aimed at building youth resilience
- Develop work plans and lead implementation of youth education and training activities geared for youth with marginal literacy and vocational skills, youth with primary or lower secondary basic education, and or college level educated youth as well as activities to enhance the management of alternative basic education amongst a wide array of stakeholders
- Manage and supervise a team of technical support staff
- Facilitate inclusive and gender-sensitive processes and approaches, engaging youth as well as local organizations and institutions with a track record in achieving outcomes for youth in alternative basic education
- Develop and maintain cross-sectoral relationships with key government entities at the national and local level, other donors and implementers, civil society partners, program beneficiaries, youth leaders, youth cooperatives, youth networks, and other stakeholders to foster an enabling environment for youth productivity
- Ensure that training curricula and program activities are high quality, effective, build on lessons learned and prior investments in alternative basic education, as well as customized to the needs and realities of young people and the labor market
- Oversee technical activities of local partner organizations and provide coaching to ensure a focus on relevant activities and achievement of outcomes
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation, and learning; project communications; and project reporting ensuring that the program adaptively responds to changes in the operating environment to meet the desired objectives
- Other duties, as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Liberian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required
- Master’s degree in a relevant field and minimum of eight (8) years of experience in integrated youth development services, or a bachelor’s degree with at least ten (10) years of relevant experience
- A deep understanding of the youth alternative basic education, formal education, and foundational skills training landscape in Liberia
- Demonstrated experience in managing youth development and/or basic education programs, with the ability to demonstrate outcomes
- Prior experience providing technical assistance and/or coaching to local organizations/institutions on youth functional literacy or numeracy skills
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills including conflict resolution abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including governments, training providers, educational institutions, NGOs, donors, etc.
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- A commitment to, and vision for how basic education and foundational skills can be improved as well as how they link to economic advancement, even in the informal sector or self employment
- Commitment to inclusive programming that encourages full participation of individual regardless of gender, disability status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other marginalized status
- Must be fluent in English
Please visit https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oB1mcfwU&s=Devex to submit your CV in English for consideration.
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.