Jhpiego seeks a Senior Technical Advisor for HIV prevention to provide technical expertise and ensure soundness of prevention activities for an upcoming US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)-funded HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment project. The four-year project aims to strengthen the capacity of the Rwanda Defense Force (RDF) to achieve epidemic control among target communities.
This position is contingent upon award from PEPFAR. Rwanda nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of project activities within their areas of expertise
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of project activities
- Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, curricula, and/or supervisory systems needed for implementation of the project to meet the needs of the donor, RDF, and the Government of Rwanda
- Promote relevant adult and youth friendly prevention and clinical services and demand creation to increase awareness, acceptability, and uptake of these services
- Work in close coordination with RDF to ensure provision of standardized, evidence-based interventions that are designed to promote the adoption of HIV prevention behaviors and service uptake for all military and other uniformed services, as well as other priority populations served by the military health services
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational levels in their specific areas of expertise
- Provide technical assistance for conducting site assessments and strengthening referral systems, in-service education, and supportive supervision
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted HIV prevention services
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work closely with the Technical Director on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Work with M&E staff to design and implement a plan to track data/results to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners to ensure activities conform to requirements and regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation and contribute to reports of project activities and results to the donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports, and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches within their technical areas of expertise
- Supervise technical staff
- Maintain excellent relationships with the donor and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses to requests
- Provide technical leadership to the development of the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with the donor, government of Rwanda, and other stakeholders, to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- A medical degree (doctor or nursing) and/or advanced degree in public health, health administration, international health or a related field.
- 7+ years of experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in HIV prevention including PrEP
- 5+ years of experience working in Rwanda
- Demonstrated capabilities in capacity building at the organizational and individual levels, and experience working effectively with the government of Rwanda
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; training; performance and quality improvement; and monitoring and evaluation
- Familiarity with PEPFAR’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with donors, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.