The Senior Technical Advisor, Innovations provides highest quality technical guidance to identify, conceptualize, develop and accelerate transformative programmatic and technology innovations in Jhpiego. The STA supports the Senior Director to enhance and strengthen Jhpiego’s collaboration with innovation partners in the academic, public, private, and research sectors at global and regional levels. The Senior Technical Advisor works with partners in catalyzing, accelerating and implementing practice, service delivery and technology-based innovations for maximum global health impact.
- Provide operational support for successful implementation of Jhpiego’s innovation strategy particularly in the following key areas:
- Frontier Solutions: Track the landscape of prospective innovations in high-impact technical areas and identify opportunities for impact within Jhpiego programs
- Incubate New Solutions: Identify and develop new, high-impact program areas for Jhpiego to enable successful introduction and scale-up
- Promote the culture of innovation across the INNOV team and organization and incorporate innovative practices into current programs
- Drive activities utilizing a problem-centered approach, where a deep understanding of entrenched problems and country-specific root causes serves as the basis for decision making and portfolio prioritization
- Utilize strong portfolio management to make recommendations to the Senior Director and executive team regarding priorities within Innovations’ portfolio of work
- Support the Senior Director in continually shaping and evaluating Jhpiego’s innovations framework and priorities.
- Foster catalytic networks and engage non-traditional stakeholders to identify, develop, and propose solutions for health challenges and build evidence for better health.
- Identify opportunities for and support growth of impactful partnerships that leverage the combined skills, assets, technologies, and resources of the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
- Ensure and enhance adherence to guiding principles and philosophy of Jhpiego Innovations Development program, which include commitment to achieving impact through affordability, accessibility, and scalability of evidence-based innovations in limited resource settings
- Guide and promote formulation of strategic research approaches and needs within the Innovations portfolio
- Collaborate with New Program Development (NPD) and Global Engagement and Communications Office (GECO) to identify and pursue opportunities for new innovations business globally
- Represent Jhpiego at priority conferences, meetings, and on working groups at global and regional levels
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Keep abreast of emerging research, best practices and innovations in prioritized portfolio areas
- Collaborate with the Senior Director and across the Innovations and Technical Leadership Office (ITLO) on development of implementation strategies for promising emerging innovations
- Manage and efficiently utilize technical and financial resources in assigned areas of work
- Identify and manage external consultants and resources to ensure they achieve defined milestones on time and within budget, providing value for Jhpiego’s investment
- Advanced degree with a clinical background
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or equivalent
- Strong medical, clinical and/or scientific expertise working in low resource settings, particularly in clinical areas consistent with Jhpiego’s maternal, reproductive and child health strategy
- Excellent problem solving skills and demonstrated experience utilizing innovation to effectuate disruptive change in health care systems of low and middle-income countries (LMIC)
- Exemplary record of operationalizing a vision and strategy in resource-constrained country settings
- At least 12 years of professional experience working in public health in resource-constrained country settings
- Demonstrated understanding of the landscape of technology and development organizations in LMIC contexts
- Deep understanding of LMIC health systems and country-specific barriers limiting effective healthcare delivery
- In-depth understanding of global health innovation needs and effective strategies for advancing local innovation and entrepreneurial ventures
- Proven leadership and management skills and proven record of working effectively with and leading diverse teams of professionals particularly in resource-constrained country settings
- Proven ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform across a portfolio of initiatives
- Comfortable with uncertainty and willing to take calculated risks
- Strong understanding of breakthrough technologies like Artificial Intelligence, extended reality and ability to effectively determine their value proposition in public health.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to interact professionally in challenging environments and developing countries
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts in other diverse organizations worldwide
- Demonstrated success working with key stakeholders in both the public and private sectors, particularly in resource-constrained countries
- Understanding of country contexts obtained by either having worked in a low-resource country or significant experience and in the field supporting implementation and/or research in national LMIC health systems
- Background/experience in corporate innovation and achieving disruptive organizational change
- Demonstrated experience using human-centered design, design thinking or other common approaches to strengthening a culture of innovation
- Experience working in the technology sector or with key stakeholders in the technology sector
- Experience with implementation research
- Fluency in one or more secondary languages (French, Portuguese, Spanish, etc.)
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: www.jobs-jhpeigo.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer