Deloitte Consulting LLP seeks a Senior Transaction Advisor under USAID’s Power Africa Expansion (PAE) program to be based in Abuja, Nigeria for a one-year assignment, with the possibility of extension. The Senior Transaction Advisor will be part of USAID’s Power Africa initiative and work with USAID and host government counterparts to identify and advance priority projects in the power sector in Nigeria and within other targeted Sub-Saharan African countries.
The U.S. Government’s (USG) Power Africa initiative aligns incentives for attracting power sector investment within several focus countries through the development and implementation of high-impact priority projects. To support this effort, the USG has established the Interagency Transactions Group (ITG) to identify and prioritize power sector projects in focus countries, assess projects, and coordinate appropriate assistance packages. The ITG will act as a “one-stop shop” for USG sub-Saharan Africa power project assistance, bringing to bear appropriate resources (i.e., financing and technical assistance) from across the USG to expedite implementation of priority projects.
The Senior Transaction Advisor will be based full-time in Abuja, Nigeria to support the USG’s efforts to advance generation, transmission and distribution capacity development and improve the long-term viability of the power sector. The Senior Transaction Advisor will receive project support from a Washington-DC based home office team. A full-time field presence is critical to the identification and implementation of assistance and continued monitoring of project and reform implementation.
Assignment and Background Information
The Senior Transaction Advisor will manage a team of experienced transaction specialists in Abuja, which will act as both originators and drivers of priority solar and gas power projects under the Power Africa initiative, embedding finance and project development expertise into existing ministries to deliver results. Roles include: (1) Project pipeline development for consideration by USAID and the private sector community; (2) Working with USAID and other donors to implement priority project assistance, and working with the Federal Government of Nigeria to fast track project approval/implementation processes; and, (3) Monitoring and reporting on project development, assistance implementation, and reforms.
A) Project Pipeline Development (25%)
- Prepare a feasibility analysis of currently contemplated Nigerian government energy projects, including available funding sources and potential for USG and other donor assistance;
- Identify new potential high-impact energy projects, determining financial viability of projects, potential for USG and other donor assistance, and preliminary due diligence required for presentation to USAID;
- Assist with data collection and standardization of project documents, as needed; and
- Maintain close relationships with important private sector and government actors, including project developers, regulatory bodies, commercial banks, investment funds, pension funds, and other donors.
B) Transaction Advisory Services and Capacity Building (50%)
- Identify critical issues and problems for consideration;
- Design and develop strategies that address capacity shortcomings and contribute to accelerated adoption of reforms and project implementation;
- Assist in accelerating closing on priority energy projects, providing independent advice to host government decision makers as needed to move closer to project milestones;
- Provide capacity building within Nigerian government institutions to evaluate commercial viability of energy projects, including possible financing sources;
- Provide technical assistance on prioritizing projects and preparing standardized transaction documents for energy projects; and
- Provide guidance, expertise and direction to host ministry and/or applicable ministries on adoption of reforms necessary to enable private sector investment.
C) Monitoring and Progress Reporting (25%)
- Develop accountability and monitoring mechanisms for relevant ministries;
- Identify and track key milestones required to complete transactions and recommend courses of action for expediting transactions; and
- Conduct regular reporting and check-ins to USAID, other interested USG entities, and key host country ministries on pipeline development, key opportunities, reform adoption, etc.
Level of Effort and Timing
- This will be a full-time position
- This initiative estimates an initial one-year deployment for the Senior Transaction Advisor to achieve the objectives outlined herein, with the possibility of extension
- The Senior Transaction Advisor will deploy in July 2018, based on funding and administrative approvals under the PAE contract, and will be required to be in-country at least 70% of working days
- 15+ years of experience working in commercial investment banks, private equity and/or financial or legal services companies or firms in the international field or in international finance, preferably with a focus on the energy sector
- Experience in originating, analyzing, structuring and post-deal maintenance of financial transactions
- Significant management experience, with skills to analyze and resolve a wide range of problems arising in transaction structuring and project development
- Comfort with developing business presentations, financial models, structuring deals (term sheets) and hands-on end-to-end experience of leading the overall investment / partnership process is essential
- Proven written and oral communication skills
- Strong research, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Knowledgeable in African power sector
- Ideal candidates will have deep experience in Nigeria, in particula
- Graduate degree in business or finance
- Capacity building/teaching experience
- Skills in monitoring and evaluation of projects
About the Organization
Deloitte is one of the leading professional services organizations in the United States specializing in audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory services with clients in more than 20 industries. We provide powerful business solutions to some of the world's most well-known and respected companies, including more than 75 percent of the Fortune 100.
At Deloitte, you can have a rewarding career on every level. In addition to challenging and meaningful work, you'll have the chance to give back to your community, make a positive impact on the environment, participate in a range of diversity and inclusion initiatives, and get the support, coaching, and training it takes to advance your career. Our commitment to individual choice lets you customize everything from your career path to your educational opportunities to your benefits. And our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business and your clients' will be heard.
Visit www.deloitte.com/us/careers to learn more about our culture, benefits, and opportunities.
Deloitte Consulting LLP
Deloitte Consulting LLP is one of the world's leading management consulting firms for executable strategy, operations, technology, and human capital advisory services. The consulting practice is built around integrated core capabilities - people, process and technology and industry expertise - the capabilities needed to help clients to tackle their most complex challenges
Federal Practice - Deloitte Consulting LLP
Deloitte Consulting's dynamic Federal Practice based in Washington D.C. and the surrounding Metropolitan area has opportunities for you to become an integral part of an exceptional team that delivers a suite of cutting-edge, innovative solutions to key Federal clients in financial management, business process improvement, strategy and operations, information systems development, implementation, enterprise transformation, business process and applications outsourcing, and a full range of human capital advisory services.