Start date: July 2020
Level of Effort (LOE) 80 days over 24-month period
Based in: Mexico City
Skills for Prosperity
Funded by the UK Department for International Development, the Skills for Prosperity programme aims to spur inclusive economic growth in Mexico via more productive and equitable skills sectors improving employability, employment opportunities and the earning potential of beneficiaries. It seeks to facilitate effective education-to-employment partnerships at the state level in 3 to 6 Mexican states, prioritising sectors key to national economic development, and developing an enabling environment for a strong skills ecosystem through technical assistance and capacity-building.
Overall, the Skills for Prosperity programme will benefit poor women and men in Mexico so that they are better served by improved Higher Education (HE) and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and are better positioned to participate in employment and the economic growth of the country.
The programme will reduce poverty in Mexico through providing support to tackle skills deficits, which are holding back sustainable and inclusive growth. It has three key Pillars: 1) RELEVANCE: Improved relevance TVET and HE to the skills set needed by industry in areas key to Mexican national economic development; 2) QUALITY: Improved quality of learning outcomes from TVET and HE provision in the public and private sectors in Mexico; and 3) EQUITY: Improved equity in access to the provision of TVET and HE in the public and private sectors in Mexico, and improved progression to employment for marginalised groups. The DAI-led consortium will implement five core interventions with TVET and HE institutions across our three Pillars.
The DAI-led consortium consists of DAI, International Youth Foundation (IYF), People 1st / UK Skills Federation, and Pearson.
SFPMx’s Intervention #5 which focuses on building capacity of TVET and HE institutions in three main areas: (1) strengthening safeguarding practices, (2) preventing and managing gender and school based violence, and (3) supporting schools with certification process for Mexican Norm on Labour Equality and Non-Discrimination (Norma Mexicana NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 en Igualdad Laboral y No Discriminación).
This consultancy will specifically focus on supporting the implementation of supporting TVET and HE institutions with certification process for Mexican Norm on Labour Equality and Non-Discrimination, and supporting the implementation of safeguarding assessments and support to TVET and HE institutions. This will include raising awareness with schools about the benefits of certification, organizing workshops with schools to explain the certification process, and assist with safeguarding assessments and trainings, among other to-be-developed activities.
Skills for Prosperity Mexico is seeking an experienced consultant with experience in the Mexican context designing and implementing initiatives related to inclusion, equity, and/or safeguarding in the educational sector.
Consultant responsibilities will include:
- Assist pillar three lead (Equity) to manage communications with TVET and HE partner institutions and the Ministry of Public Education, to support implementation of the Mexican Norm NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 on Labour Equality and Non-Discrimination in partner educational institutions.
- Conduct baseline of selected TVET & HE institutions’ existing routines, roles, rules related to NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 implementation.
- Customise strategies to ensure buy-in and implementation progress in the NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 certification process of TVET and HE partner institutions.
- Design and deliver workshops on the NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 to appointed staff from the TVET and HE partner institutions.
- Provide technical assistance to TVET and HE partner institutions to conduct organizational diagnosis, establish goals, indicators, and a monitoring strategy to follow-up on NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 implementation progress.
- Develop customized tools and protocols necessary to comply with NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 requirements in TVET and HE partner institutions.
- Assist pillar three lead (Equity) to follow-up on progress in creating a safeguarding culture in TVET and HE partner institutions.
- Conduct safeguarding assessments in TVET and HE partner institutions.
- Support the MREL team to continually monitor implementation and address implementation challenges.
- Support other activities as they arise.
The ideal candidate will have experience with gender and social inclusion, non-discrimination, and/or equity. He or she will have good networks in Mexican private sector and/or Mexican TVET and higher education sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in fields related to: public administration, law, public policy, human resources, or other relevant social sciences, with 5- 10 years’ experience. Master’s Degree in gender studies is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience implementing the NMX-R-025-SCFI-2015 Equality and Non-Discrimination Certification Process.
- Experience working with M&E systems.
- Experience delivering training and providing coaching or technical assistance in education sector or private sector.
- Experienced in project management practices and tools.
- Proven experience in developing relationships with employers.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, team-player, strong communications skills (verbal and writing), strong presentation skills, multi-tasking, and proactive skills.
- Proficient in English language and fluency in Spanish for professional communication and reporting (verbal and written).
- Excellent facilitation and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel
- Availability to take on this assignment in a short notice.
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills and advanced level in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- A team player with a positive “can do” attitude that reflects DAI’s core principals of integrity, responsibility, excellence and global citizenship.
Reporting and support
The consultant will be line managed and supported by Pillar Lead Three (Equity) and will report to Pillar Three in SFPMx’s central delivery unit. The consultant will work closely with SFPMx Team Leader and the entire team to implement all aspects of SFPMx’s technical assistance activities related to supporting the implementation of supporting TVET and HE institutions with certification process for Mexican Norm on Labour Equality and Non-Discrimination, and supporting the implementation of safeguarding assessments and support to TVET and HE institutions.
Please note that all profiles are indicative only and therefore subject to change.
Closing date is 15th July 2020.
About the Organization
DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.