Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate the assigned shelter project(s), assessing shelter needs, designing projects, writing proposals, initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in shelter delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train shelter staff.
Medair’s emergency response team and partner World Concern completed emergency shelter kit distributions in 2017, upgrade shelter kits distribution and assistance in the first half of 2018 and will continue to support the Rohinga with transitional shelter support starting September 2018.
Take a look at Medair’s Shelter & Infrastructure work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Take a look at Medair’s work in Bangladesh
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2018. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Shelter Project Management
- Manage the projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the time frame.
- Develop and implement a shelter strategy in consultation with other shelter staff and field managers.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local shelter staff.
- Set clear objectives for shelter activities. Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy.
- Continuously monitor and supervise shelter activities, overseeing the technical design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to timeframes and formats.
- Line-manage the Shelter Managers, including day-to-day management, development, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision in order to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Assess the training needs of shelter staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the shelter budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication structures with the shelter team, Medair in-country and HQ and advisers and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation.
- Participate in shelter coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the shelter staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Engage with the Logistics Department according to Medair logistics policies to organize procurement.
- Develop procurement plans and delivery plans to facilitate an effective supply chain.
- Provide support to the logistics department to ensure items procured meet quality expectations.
- Ensure shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Technical construction skills within a humanitarian setting
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Able to enforce procedures, set clear objectives, delegate, take the initiative and prioritise clearly.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Problem solving ability.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
- Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Project management experience in a construction context.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.