The ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks criminal justice experts with substantive experience in alternatives to detention to support its work in Bahrain. These short-term Advisors will serve as technical experts guiding and overseeing regional discussions on the implementation of sentencing reform, including discussions of alternative programming such as rehabilitation, community service, home detention, probation/parole and other alternatives to detention. Experience with implementing alternative programming from the ground up, as well as accompanying regulation, is especially valued for these positions.
These Advisors will contribute to ABA ROLI’s larger effort to help design and develop alternative justice models for the Gulf region within the context of ongoing criminal justice reforms, and will require short-term travel to the Gulf region. Depending on the training, Advisors may be expected to perform any of the below responsibilities, or others as the scope of the program develops and evolves. The role will require travel to Bahrain, may involve remote preparation work, and assignments may last between one and three weeks.
- Work with ROLI Bahrain Senior Advisor and ROLI Bahrain Program Manager to implement individual workshops and roundtable discussions with Bahraini Judges, Prosecutors, Lawyers, and Law Professors on the use of alternatives to detention;
- Guide discussions and workshops, in correspondence with the training curriculum, on international best practices for the use of alternatives to detention;
- Advise ROLI program staff on the development of course curricula, activities, and materials when necessary;
- Advise ROLI program staff on the development of draft regulations for agencies responsible for implementation and monitoring of alternatives to detention programs;
- Advise ROLI program staff on the development of a checklist/guidelines for the use of alternative sentencing, victim involvement/input and other relevant procedures and protocols
- BA/BS or foreign equivalent and ten or more years of practical experience related to criminal justice required, JD/LLM or foreign equivalent highly preferred
- Experience as a prosecutor, defense attorney, or judge litigating cases resulting in alternative sentences OR experience as a probation or parole officer handling cases with alternative sentences;
- Experience researching and recommending alternatives to detention for perpetrators and liaising with victims as part of the criminal justice process;
- Extensive knowledge of the criminal justice process from intake to post-trial sentencing;
- Experience training ranking judges and senior prosecutors and lawyers;
- Working knowledge of MENA region and/or experience working in politically sensitive contexts is highly desirable;
- Fluency in English (knowledge of Arabic is a plus); and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
For more information on this program please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/where_we_work/middle_east/mena_regional.html
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in over 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html