The USAID Health Financing Improvement Program supports the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) in the implementation of health sector financing reforms, including health insurance, at the national, regional, and district (woreda), levels. Community-based health insurance (CBHI) is a relatively new program and membership is voluntary. Its implementation and rollout across the country relies on the ongoing commitment of regional and woreda government authorities to launch CBHI schemes, contract with health facilities to provide services to CBHI beneficiaries, and hold community sensitization events to facilitate enrollment. Because of this, CBHI requires social and behavior change communications (SBCC) efforts that raise awareness and understanding of the program, sensitize target communities and promote membership enrollment and renewal, and encourage implementation actions by regional and woreda level government authorities and health care providers.
Under the supervision of the Health Financing and Insurance Advisor, the Social and Behavior Change Communications Specialist will provide SBCC technical expertise for social and behavior change strategies, messaging, and products developed under the Program, and SBCC technical assistance to the Ethiopian Health Insurance Agency (EHIA) and potentially other counterparts. The position is based in the project’s headquarters office in Addis Ababa, with local travel as required.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide SBCC technical expertise for social and behavior change communication strategies, messaging, and products developed under for the Program.
- Provide technical expertise and assistance to EHIA in planning, producing, disseminating, and creating effective messaging for high-quality CBHI-focused SBCC materials and video content to raise awareness and encourage behaviors related to the CBHI program amongst the general population and target audiences that include:
- Success stories on the CBHI program and its impact on beneficiaries;
- Video situational comedy (sitcom) shows for television, including script development
- Public service announcements (PSAs)
- Any other SBCC, sensitization, or communications documents
- Provide technical and coordinative assistance to EHIA’s Communications Directorate in planning, organizing, coordinating, and developing content for activities and events related to celebrating the 10th anniversary of CBHI.
- Participate as a member of and technical resource to EHIA’s Communications Taskforce.
- Support EHIA in liaising with national and local media to disseminate CBHI messages targeting different audiences such as beneficiaries, health facilities, GOE officials etc.
- Prepare scopes of work and manage tasks in collaboration with creative or media firms, and radio and television stations.
- Support the Program and EHIA in liaising with the local arts community to work on creative messages that involve artists.
- Produce success stories and articles for the Program’s quarterly newsletter and other deliverables, in collaboration with Program staff. Assist the Program, EHIA, and potentially other counterparts in developing messages and materials to be circulated at events or via other channels.
- Provide timely and accurate written inputs for Program annual implementation plans, quarterly/annual performance reports, and other Program deliverables and products.
- Ensure SBCC deliverables are on time and of high quality and in line with current SBCC best practices.
- Travel within Addis Ababa and to regions/ woredas as required in the conduct of these tasks.
- Master’s degree and a minimum 8 years of experience in designing and implementing successful SBCC activities and products.
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop high-quality, high-impact SBCC materials and video content. Preferably, in Ethiopia and for the health or livelihoods sector and targeting rural and urban populations.
- Experience providing SBCC technical assistance to government or other counterparts.
- Demonstrated experience writing success stories, preferably for USAID or international donor clients.
- Familiarity in preparing scopes of work and managing tasks in collaboration with creative or media firms, and radio and television stations.
- Understanding of writing scripts with SBCC content for television shows /sitcoms or similar video content.
- Knowledge of health insurance initiatives in Ethiopia.
- Excellent written communication skills, in both English and Amharic; must write clearly and informatively, know how to edit work for spelling and grammar, present technical and numerical data effectively, and be able to read and interpret written information.
- Effective oral communicator who speaks clearly and persuasively, listens and receives clarifications, responds well to questions, demonstrates strong group presentation skills, and participates effectively in meetings.
- Able to work effectively a as a team member, and ability to produce high-quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Fluent in English and Amharic. Knowledge of an additional Ethiopian language is a plus.
- Computer literate (MS Word, MS Excel).
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.