Global Communities is seeking an experienced a Social Behavior Change Communication Specialist for the anticipated 5-year, USAID-funded Rwanda Orora Wihaze program. This program will sustainably increase the availably of, access to, and consumption of animal source foods (ASF) through the development of a profitable market. The goal of the program is to increase income for households, increase investment in ASF value chains and to improve nutritional outcomes for children and women of childbearing age.
The Social Behavior Change Communication Specialist will provide leadership, coordination and technical assistance in social and behavior change communication (SBCC).
S/he will provide guidance and technical inputs to the support the effective use and implementation of gender-sensitive SBCC strategies, activities, media and materials that promote priority behaviors and social norms. S/he will provide state-of-the-art technical inputs into the design, pretesting, development, production and dissemination of materials, and support related training activities. This position may be based in Kigali or in a regional office with frequent travel to districts for supervision and coordination.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
7 years’ professional experience working in developing countries, some of which should be in Africa, in food security and agronomy in managing or implementing development programs. Experience with East Africa or Rwanda agriculture sector, particularly in the area of animal sourced foods, is an asset.
* Master’s Degree in Communications, Behavioral Sciences, Health Promotion, or the Social Sciences;
* A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in implementing BCC/SBCC programs, ideally in agriculture, nutrition, health or related technical areas;
* Experience in community mobilization;
* Demonstrated expertise in SBCC research and effective communication and messaging techniques;
* Demonstrated familiarity with a variety of SBCC media formats: including low-literacy print materials, audio materials, audio-visual materials, music/dance/drama and other traditional and performance arts, social media, radio, television, video and promotional materials. Familiarity with/exposure to cell phone videos, SMS text messages, and social media (Facebook, twitter, etc.) desired but not required;
* Advanced understanding of the media and materials design and development process, particularly within the context of SBCC and/or strategic communication;
* Proven ability to work in a team, with good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate colleagues, partners and creative agencies;.
* Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching;
* Creative with the ability to model and champion innovative, out-of-the-box thinking;
* Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload;
* Excellent spoken and written English; spoken and written Kinyarwanda preferred
* Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word) and internet skills (emails, google mail);
* Willingness to frequently travel to rural communities;
* Previous experience working with smallholder farming communities and in nutrition-specific and/or nutrition-sensitive programming in the health and/or agriculture sectors highly desired but not required.
Rwandan citizens are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.