PSI seeks a Social Marketing Technical Advisor to support the social marketing function of programs in East Africa. The Advisor is expected to have significant experience in marketing and public health, preferably in African markets. She or he will provide hands on marketing guidance and technical assistance to the country offices in our East Africa region. This will include both long-distance support (e.g., via email, phone calls and Skype) as well as travel in the region (potentially as much as 35% travel).
The Advisor will have experience socially marketing products and services as well as behaviors that do not require a supporting product or service. She or he should have demonstrated experience developing social marketing plans, communications plans and, ideally, sales and distribution or trade marketing plans. In addition, she or he should have the demonstrated ability to build capacity in others in these areas. The Advisor will be skilled in leading group facilitation activities and possess an understanding of adult learning theory.
The potential health areas include HIV prevention (e.g., condoms, HIV testing, male circumcision, concurrency, youth abstinence, etc.), malaria prevention and treatment, integrated case management of maternal and child survival (e.g., diarrhea prevention and treatment, pneumonia treatment, safe delivery, ante and post natal care, etc.) tuberculosis treatment, non-communicable diseases treatment, etc.
The Advisor will be expected to learn the ‘PSI way’ of doing social marketing but also to add value to our corporate approach by bringing experience in commercial markets, preferably African commercial markets.
This position reports to the Deputy Regional Director and is preferred to be based in Washington, D.C. however being based in the East Africa would be considered.
The Advisor will perform the following services for PSI:
• Assist with development of marketing plans, communication plans and sales & distribution or trade marketing plans that address relevance, scale, and value.
• Increase the capacity of country marketing teams to operationalize the implementation plans ensuring that the donor deliverables and marketing strategies are effectively operationalized.
• Coordinate with the research teams to provide useful marketing & behavioral evidence.
• Work with M&E teams to improve the monitoring of marketing metrics and implementation.
• Manage the regional product pricing strategies to ensure that platforms are increasing cost efficiencies and not leaving money on the table with the trade.
• Increase the capacity of marketing & research team to better understand how to incorporate total market approach strategies within the marketing plans.
• Assist platforms with social franchise networks on improving provider behavior through detailing and the integration and expansion of delivery channels.
• Provide marketing teams with international best practices in advertising and communication interventions.
• Other marketing functions as required.
• Degree (undergraduate or masters) in business, marketing, social marketing, or public health
• At least five years’ experience in marketing or social marketing, preference for experience in African commercial or health markets
• At least two years’ experience working in multiple developing country contexts
• Experience with marketing and qualitative & quantitative research studies
• Strong English written and oral communication skills
• Evidence of ability to work independently and to lead small groups to consensus
• Ability to present information persuasively to a wide variety of audiences
• Experience training small groups
• Portuguese and/or French language skills a plus
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
• Achievement of Annual Performance Management Plans
• Leadership on innovation and marketing, and maximizing potential of PSI’s business model to deliver health impact
• Effective capacity building initiatives that show increased performance at the platforms
• Improved platform marketing plans that lead to measurable health impact
• Scoring on stakeholder surveys
• Dissemination and implementation of marketing best practices in the region
About the Organization
PSI is a leading global health organization with programs targeting malaria, child survival, HIV and reproductive health. Working in partnership within the public and private sectors, and harnessing the power of the markets, PSI provides life-saving products, clinical services and behavior change communications that empower the world's most vulnerable populations to lead healthier lives.
PSI's core values are a belief in markets and market mechanisms to contribute to sustained improvements in the lives of the poor; results and a strong focus on measurement; speed and efficiency with a predisposition to action and an aversion to bureaucracy; decentralization and empowering our staff at the local level; and a long term commitment to the people we serve. PSI has programs in 67 countries. For more information, please visit www.psi.org.