SCOPE OF WORK
Iraq Governance and Performance Accountability (IGPA)
Solid Waste Management Consultant
Period of Performance: o/a August 20 – September 31, 2018 with possible extensions
The purpose of the Iraq Governance Performance and Accountability (IGPA) project is to advance effective, accountable, and transparent governance in Iraq. This USAID effort, implemented by DAI, will work with the Government of Iraq (GOI) at all levels to better respond to citizen needs by supporting reform initiatives and Iraqi change agents on inclusive governance and public sector transparency, accountability, and economy. “Reform initiatives” includes support to improve service delivery functions, public financial management, and open government initiatives. IGPA will support the GOI and the citizens of Iraq in forming partnerships and collaborative efforts to solve problems jointly. IGPA has four objectives:
- Enhance GOI service delivery capacity
- Improve public financial management
- Strengthen monitoring and oversight of service delivery and public expenditure
- Support Iraqi change agents (cross-cutting objective)
Solid waste collection is one of the most significant services provided by governments to citizens, which directly reflects the performance of the government. It gives an immediate and instant impression of the level of general government performance. Hence, the issue of collecting, transferring, and disposing of solid waste is deemed one of the most important problems facing cities and urban communities in Iraq in general.
The Solid Waste Management consultant will provide support to the Objective 1 (Service Delivery) Team to assess the solid waste management service in Iraq and determine areas of support needed to elevate the level of service provided to citizens. Specifically, this scope of work will support the Objective 1 team in identifying project activities to improve solid waste management that need to be tackled in the project’s year two workplan and beyond, and will also provide the support for implementing the identified activities. The scope also entails preparing and conducting a National Solid Waste Management conference. Lastly, based on feedback and the results of the conference, the consultant will develop a national strategy for solid waste management in Iraq, including a detailed implementation plan for solutions to the current solid waste management status.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
Within the overall objective of developing a service delivery framework for GOI and strengthening accountability in service delivery, the Consultant shall perform, but not necessarily be limited to the following tasks:
- Conduct assessment sessions with solid waste management stakeholders (municipalities directorates, Baghdad Amanat, National Investment Commission, HCCPSec, and higher committee for solid waste management) to identify the main issues that need to be addressed at the regional and national conference.
- Support Objective 1 team in identifying and planning for new opportunities to improve solid waste management and incorporate the needed activities in the year 2 workplan.
- Review the present waste management system and evaluate elements lacking sustainability.
- Review waste management practices and identify ways to improve GoI’s waste management system.
- Draft a new waste management strategy, considering a strategic long-term approach enhancing sustainability; to be supplemented with a detailed implementation plan.
- Formulate a treatment plan on the analysis of waste minimization, collection, treatment, and waste disposal solutions.
- Support Objective 1 team in the planning, preparation, and support of a national solid waste management conference in Baghdad; and provide recommendations and strategy for solid waste management.
- Provide other areas of support required by the Service Delivery Lead and his team.
- Final solid waste management assessment report, including findings and recommendations.
- Final solid waste management strategy.
- Develop a solid waste management improvement plan.
- Design proposal for conducting the national solid waste conference and manage preparations.
- Contributions to draft of year 2 workplan, including suggested waste management opportunities.
Location and Reporting:
The Solid Waste Management consultant will be based in Baghdad, Iraq and will report to the Chief of Party.