Internews is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party for a USAID-funded program in South Sudan which aims to increase citizens’ access to independent and reliable information to engage in well-informed public discussion of critical issues affecting the population of South Sudan.
The DCoP will support the CoP in all aspects of program management, at a strategic level and also at an operational level. S/he will be responsible for oversight of program activities, reporting and sub-grants. S/he will be required to act as COP as from time-to-time being the principal point of contact in South Sudan for procedural and substantive matters, and will also take on delegated CoP responsibilities as required. S/he will support the CoP in liaison with USAID/ South Sudan on technical matters and in programs management and operations in response to USAID/ South Sudan technical direction. The position will also support the CoP in ensuring timely delivery of activities, quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Work with the Chief of Party (COP) in project, office, and personnel management.
- Develop and maintain a keen understanding of challenges and issues facing effective media and communications in South Sudan.
- Work with the COP, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies and activities that build the capacity of South Sudanese media partners, outlets and media associations, and to strengthen the media sector in general.
- Supervise a team of experienced media trainers and technical consultants to deliver high quality media training and mentoring, building on Internews’ past experience with sub-grantees and other media sector partners.
- Cultivate relationships with relevant local and international governmental actors, media, partners and agencies and represent Internews in discussions with South Sudanese authorities, USAID, and other donors.
- In partnership with the COP, provide leadership in the development and maintenance of professional relationships with donors through reporting, liaison, communications, and advocacy.
- Work with Internews home office to ensure proper administration of projects.
- Support the COP and senior administrative and finance staff to ensure compliance with organizational and donor rules and regulations.
- Support the COP’s efforts in project planning, budgeting, and administrative issues.
- Analyze project results and the implementation of successes/failures.
- Develop plans for improvement/expansion of activities, as assigned.
- Participate in new fundraising efforts to support national and regional projects.
- Additional assignments and initiatives as required.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
QUALIFICATIONS (qualified applications from South Sudan or East Africa are encouraged to apply)
- 5-8 years of progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations, media associations, and providing senior program management.
- Academic and/or practical work experience in journalism, media business management, or law (with familiarity with media law) preferred.
- Advanced degree (master’s or higher) in social sciences, international development, business management, journalism, law or a related field
- Strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations and donors.
- Long-term development experience in Sub-Saharan Africa (5+ years preferred);
- Working experience and knowledge of South Sudan is preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets and strong knowledge of new media preferred.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs strongly preferred
- Experience in fundraising and development of innovative program concepts
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
About the Organization
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.