The Finance Specialist is responsible for providing support in finance and award management activities within the Department of Hunger and Livelihoods. This individual will assemble spreadsheets and analyze large amount of financial information and identify areas of concerns. Working under the Director of Finance and Portfolio Management, this individual will help contribute to the continuous improvement of financial monitoring and budget management by identifying systems and procedures to enhance efficiencies and reduce risks. This position will provide regular guidance to DHL’s Program Managers (PMs) to ensure that all project budgets are managed consistently, adhering to general accounting principles. Other tasks include, review of audit reports, member control charges and fee for service agreements. The Finance Specialist will support the award management function, providing guidance as needed.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Financial Analysis and Support (50%)
• Prepare and review monthly time splits, inclusive of distributing guidance.
• Support the development of a tracker to reconcile budgeted versus actual level of effort splits on a monthly basis.
• Review monthly transactions for designated, strategic initiative, and sponsorship budgets and ensure that they have been charged to the correct budget code.
• Review reclasses submitted by staff and ensure they are coded correctly.
• Participate or prepare for portfolio reviews, as needed.
• Provide guidance and oversight on Fee for Service agreements (FFS) by training Program Managers/Award Managers on how to draft agreements and complete extensions. Coordinate with Finance on invoicing and ensuring that receivables are collected.
• Provide guidance and oversight on invoicing other Save the Children members by training staff and working with Finance to ensure that payments are collected and coded properly.
• Provide support to Finance Director or PMs during audit. Assist in the review of the documents from the audit sample. Respond to questions or concerns raised by the auditors about the audit sample. Review audit findings and develop an action plan to address the auditor’s concerns/findings.
• Review, code and approve member control charges on a monthly basis.
• Review the weekly Resource Development gift log and keep track of designated gifts/funding sources
• Prepare monthly credit card reconciliations.
Budget Management (20%)
• Under the guidance of DHL’s Director, Finance and Portfolio Management, work with individual Program Managers and business line leads to create fiscal year budgets and reforecasts for the department. Provide trend analysis as needed to help inform future funding strategies.
• Manage budget transfers as needed within the agency.
• Manage Strategic Opportunity Cost Allocation (SOCA) spending against budgets.
• Create a process to ensure DHL budget lines managed by other departments are spent in a timely manner.
• Manage and track designated budget, sponsorship and strategic initiative funding. Prepare reports as needed.
Information Management (10%)
• Ensure that information in Agresso and Award Management System is complete and up to date.
• Update DHL’s risk register and ensure that business line leads have a proper understanding of financial and award management related risks and their implications on DHL and the Agency.
• Update DHL’s Award Management library with forms, templates, and important communications, as necessary.
• Maintain a repository for annual audit reports.
• Must maintain strict confidentiality and the utmost of integrity in all aspects of the position.
Training and Technical Assistance (10%)
• Coordinate with global finance and participate in the development and delivery of trainings on financial accounting and reporting requirements including financial coding minimum standards to DHL PMs and new hires.
• Conduct technical assistance visits to Save the Children International Country Offices to provide award management and finance support, as needed.
New Business/Proposal Development (10%)
• Prepare and /or oversee the preparation of and approval of DHL cost proposals for new funding, as needed
• Assist with preparing cost packages for DHL as well as building the capacity of DHL staff to prepare cost proposals.
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience
• High school or Technical/Vocational Degree
• Strong ability with Microsoft Office suite, including advanced Excel
• Highly developed problem solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
• Ability to present information in an informative and clear manner. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to build effective relationships.
• Willingness to travel at 5% domestically and/or internationally.
• Ability to create, update, analyze and present finance and budget reports
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
• Not-for-Profit accounting, finance and grant experience
• Strong knowledge of USAID rule and regulations to ensure only allowable costs are incurred against USG funding
• Familiarity with Agresso or similar accounting system
• Excellent computer skills, especially using Excel for advanced and complex budgeting and tracking
What’s In It for You
• Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
• Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
• Vision Insurance
• Life insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Commuter Benefit Program
• Vacation and Sick leave
• Paid holidays
What makes us special!
• Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
• Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
• Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
• Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
• Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
• Summer Fun Fridays – During the summer months, early release at 1:30 pm every other Friday!
• Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
• Ergonomic Options – Every employee at our HQ offices has the option of a sitting/standing desk
• Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
• Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
• Language learning opportunities
• Continuous Improvement skill development programs
• Lunch and Learn information sharing sessions
• Work hard/Play hard! We make sure there’s ample opportunity for fun, engagement, and celebration while you work, such as networking events, March Madness, World Cup, Dodgeball Tournaments, Take Your Child to Work Day, Founder’s Day, and our annual Day of Service
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.