Sr. Programme Assistant, Progamme Support Team (multiple positions)
Purpose of the position:
The Senior Programme Assistant provides support to Senior Country Managers, Senior Programme Managers and Programme Managers in Country Programmes. Senior Programme Assistants will help in all steps of the portfolio management process by assisting in all administrative management work of the portfolio, including support to the HSIS team related to the development and implementation of Gavi’s Health System Strengthening (HSS) investments.
Programme Support Team
N° of positions supervised:
Senior Manager, Programme Support, (with a dotted line to the Director/Head of respective team)
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together implementing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of more than 822 million children and the prevention of more than 14 million future deaths.
Senior Programme Assistants (PA) play an important role in Gavi’s mission to ensure that children in the world’s poorest countries are vaccinated against deadly diseases such as hepatitis B, diarrhoeal disease, pneumococcal disease, measles, meningitis A, and cervical cancer.
The hands-on work of Gavi’s PAs is fast-paced, demanding and rewarding. Working together with the Programme Manager (PM), Senior Country Manager (SCM) and/or Manager and Senior Manager in HSIS, their work enables the uptake of life saving vaccines in many countries that previously couldn’t afford them. Their work also contributes towards the global eradication of polio and the deployment of the cutting-edge cervical cancer-preventing vaccine. They will also contribute to the introduction of a vaccine against COVID-19. PAs in HSIS will support countries to identify and address health systems bottlenecks through catalytic tailored and targeted HSS investments with a focus on reaching zero-dose communities.
Senior Programme Assistants support several countries within their assigned team, however as the PAs will be part of a pool they may be asked to support other teams based on need. They provide direct administrative support to the PMs, SCMs, and/or Managers and Senior Managers in HSIS to ensure countries deploy Gavi supported vaccines, direct financial support and technical support effectively and transparently.
KEY RESULTS EXPECTED
• Efficient and consistent support to the administrative management of the portfolio through various administrative tasks in SAP related to ARs, DLs, disbursements and grant closure;
• Draft grant agreements, exhibits and other contracts and coordinate procurement processes;
• Closely monitor risks, proactively identify and address issues, and improve administrative management of portfolios and other tasks;
• Ensure compliance with Gavi policies, requirements, agreed timelines, formats and quality standards.
• Undertake productive collaborations with relevant Gavi Secretariat colleagues;
• Monitor and update relevant trackers (GMRs, Audit and others);
• Support drafting of communications to countries and partners;
• Create Goods Receipts as required;
• Timely payment of partners’ invoices and contract renewals;
• Support robust knowledge management (e.g., ensuring databases and repositories are up to date);
• Provide logistical support to team for engagement with partners/countries (e.g. planning complex meetings, travel).
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SAP-related tasks, AR and DL processes
• Ensure that Grant Agreements and contract figures (for PFM contracts) are on SAP through the creation of PRs;
• Follow up regularly on PR/PO release and ensures that the hard-copy documents have been printed for MD CP signature;
• Allocates budgets to the proper implementer;
• Creates a PR for any CDR that is to be disbursed to an implementing partner other than the Government;
• Run reports as needed;
• Monitor AR approval process;
• Conduct SAP processes (budget transfers, budget allocations, raising PRs) and follow up on each step of the process to ensure minimal delays;
• Prepare DL – in SAP and follow up on signature. Send to country and partners, including UNICEF SD.
• Ensure grant closure process and timeliness per guidance is followed and communicated to grant recipients;
• Obtain necessary evidence to proceed with final grant closure and related communications;
• Update status in SAP.
• Contract creation and follow up;
• Draft grant agreements and coordinate internal and external review process with all stakeholders, ensuring all relevant edits are captured;
• Coordinate Secretariat and partners’ clearance and signature (in hardcopy and soft copy);
• Monitor implementation of agreement and draft/process required amendments as needed in consultation with Legal and SCM/PM;
• Draft amendments in line with above.
• Perform budget transfer tasks and goods receipting in SAP to allow for disbursements/payment of invoices;
• Track payments made. Follow up on country confirmation of receipt of funds and input the confirmation in the CDR.
• Prepare first drafts of all standard communications (e.g. co-financing reminders, information letters, new guidance, surveys, etc.);
• Ensuring housekeeping guidance is respected across Gavi drive;
• Organise meetings/TCs and missions logistics;
• Provide access to country portal – Ask KMTS for contact creation and portal access.
Note: The essential functions of the post are not limited to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
• Completion of at least two years of university education. Training in secretarial/administrative field highly desirable.
• Minimum of 3 years in secretarial/administrative field showing of progressively responsible work;
• Proven ability to quickly adapt to a complex administrative and organisational environment;
• Experience working in multiple countries/international environment an asset;
• Experience working with SAP an advantage.
• Proactive problem solver
o Ability to make decisions and operate independently as well as judgement to know when to seek guidance.
• Organisation and Multitasking
o Ability to multitask, tracking and managing many active priorities in parallel; judgement to prioritise between multiple important tasks but not drop other tasks;
o Highly organised and structured, good planner with a high level of attention to detail.
• Portfolio support
o Excellent administrative capabilities to support management of the portfolio;
o Coordinates, works effectively with others, structures work to meet deadlines, including effective prioritisation;
o Ability to track and follow-up on tasks ensuring completion.
• Effective communciator
o Delivers clear, concise and coherent messages -verbally and orally – adapted to intended audience.
• Strong interpersonal skills
o Models positive team behaviors that foster teamwork and trust, both internally and externally;
o Ability to work in a high-pressure environment with tight timelines;
o Conflict management;
o Multi-cultural sensitivity;
o Team player;
o Sense of humour.
• Digital skills and information management
o Know-how in record keeping (e.g. proper handling of records and systems to preserve; institutional memory, including correspondence logs, office filing and reference systems, etc.)
o Knowledge of Salesforce and/or SAP and SAC is an advantage.
• Financial management and budgeting
o Know-how in budget administration and accounting, resource allocation and planning at a divisional level is an advantage.
• Written and spoken fluency in English essential;
• Written and spoken fluency in French, Portuguese, or Russian is an asset.
· Gavi Secretariat;
· Developing country governments;
· Gavi’s alliance partners;
· Multilateral & bilateral donor agencies;
· Civil society organisations.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Sr. Programme Assistant, Progamme Support Team (multiple positions)” Deadline for applications is 19 March 2021.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.