The HR Unit provides the organization with both strategic and day-to-day HR support. The ability of the HR team to perform and to act as role models of integrity and stability is key to its reputation and success within the organization. They operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations and actively contribute to the overall smooth running of the Executive Division, working in a collaborative manner with other team members and ensuring timely and accurate provision of expert information to the organization.
The success of International IDEA is dependant on a capable and highly qualified workforce that is multi-skilled, diverse, mobile and able to work across disciplines. The Staff Training and Development Officer contributes to this goal through building organizational and staff capacity through onboarding, staff learning and development, and performance management. S/he focuses on key aspects of workforce planning, specifically through performance and talent management. Acting as an HR Business Partner s/he collaborates with managers and teams alike, applying HR management principles and practices in a manner which establishes rapport, trust, confidence and credibility helping to create a high-performance, sustainable organization that meets its strategic and operational goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for identifying staff training and development needs; Conducts training needs analysis to determine appropriate learning and development strategies/solutions;
- Provides expertise and develops initiatives and tools related to leadership and management development;
- Designs, develops, implements and evaluates learning at International IDEA; Recommends content, format and delivery mode of training initiatives to be used;
- Schedules training programmes; Plans and coordinates the annual training calendar;
- Facilitates training programmes; Provides administrative and substantive support required for the delivery of training workshops; Contributes to the planning, design, production review and dissemination of relevant training tools and promotes online learning and other alternative methods for the delivery of learning;
- Compiles course evaluations; Provides relevant statistics on training activities for inclusion in reports;
- Monitors the implementation and compliance of performance management; Analyzes staff development plans to ensure that they are consistent with International IDEA’s strategic and operational goals and objectives. Assess and recommends ways to enhance their effectiveness and impact;
- Conducts orientation sessions and arranges on-the-job training for new employees;
- Administers the process of contract extensions, prepares certificates of employment and other formal documents relating to staff matters;
- Provides advice on the interpretation and application of polices rules and regulations.
- Good knowledge of Human Resources policies, practices and procedures and the ability to apply them in an organizational setting;
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community; Demonstrates professional competence; Contributes significantly to staff training and development; will lead meetings and discussions, and liaise and review input from external providers;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Head of Human Resources and Organizational Development.
- Responsible for advising and supporting management and teams on talent management, leadership development and implementing a more strategic business partnering function from onboarding to training and development and performance management; S/he is focused on shaping talent management at International IDEA and using his/her coaching skills to continue building a high-performance culture;, providing strategic advice to decision-makers and implementing a more strategic HR business partnering function at International IDEA;
- Has in-depth knowledge in own discipline and good understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations; Keeps up-to date with sourcing strategies and industry trends;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her activities; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the organizations strategy and objectives and the relevant programmatic issues;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management in past experiences.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors; formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations.
- Has a clear impact on the development and delivery of projects and programmes, with a clear impact on teams and projects.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- The incumbent is expected to show a high level of professionalism, personal initiative, the ability to think both logically and creatively, a business-focused approach, high degree of organization and a commitment to continuous learning;
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Fluency in English is essential; Fluency in an an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is desireable.
Education and Experience
- University degree in human resources management, business management, social sciences, or related field; Professional development certification in talent management, including learning and development, coaching, facilitation and related areas considered an asset;
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in staff development, including experience designing and developing staff development resources and programmes;
- Technical knowledge and skills in facilitating face-to-face and distance learning sessions, in an international context, ideally in governmental, intergovernmental and/or non-governmental organizations;
- Excellent knowledge of the general principles of Human Resources Management;
- Experience in performance and learning management systems; Good knowledge of ERP systems.
Terms of Contract
- Two (2) year fixed term appointment
- Salary €4 745 NET per month plus benefits
- Start date as soon as possible
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 31 March 2018. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
About the Organization
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.