Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Economic and Environmental Statistics Section, in the Statistics Division. The incumbent reports to the Chief, Economic and Environment Statistics Section.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Economic and Environment Statistics Section, and overall supervision of the Director, Statistics Division, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
• Organizes, designs, plans and carries out the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of statistical, geospatial and other types of data by selecting methods of data collection, selecting and implementing methods for checking collected data, and selecting and implementing appropriate methods for data processing and visualization.
• Participates in the development, implementation, and management of statistical database(s).
• Provides training and technical support on data collection programmes, country practices, and other related information.
• Participates in the development or revision of standards on statistical concepts, definitions, and classifications by performing methodological research.
• Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports.
• Organizes and participates in seminars, working groups and expert meetings as a technical resource person.
• Guides, trains and supervises general service staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, economics, data science, environmental science, sociology or related field. A relevant first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis, and dissemination of statistical data or related area is required. Experience with national accounts, environmental-economic accounting, ecosystem accounting or social accounting is highly desirable. Experience with the integration of different types of data, such as statistical and geospatial information is desirable. Experience with data communication and visualization is desirable. Experience in the United Nations Common System or international organizations is desirable.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.