Statistics and Monitoring Officer, Child Protection, P-2 (Temporary Appointment –TA)
Statistics and Monitoring Section/Division of Policy and Strategy, New York, Headquarters
Purpose of the Post:
The primary function of this post is to develop and maintain global databases, analyse data, contribute to key UNICEF publications, and more broadly support the monitoring of, and reporting on, the situation of children and women. The work focuses on the areas highlighted by the MTSP and, for this post, gives particular emphasis to the areas of Child Protection, though other areas will also be covered, particularly Adolescents, Child Disability, Gender and ECD.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support the collection of data from UNICEF field offices, updating the global databases and compilation of data. This involves corresponding with field offices, section focal points and the software support group.
Result: Ensuring the effective and efficient updating of databases that are ultimately used by UNICEF for analysis and reporting.
2. Support the analysis of data from a wide variety of sources to produce trends, regional estimates, burden numbers and other estimates for use in key publications, speeches, media materials etc.
Result: Estimates to be used for reporting on the situation of children and women such as UNICEF flagship publications.
3. Develop and maintain databases and systems as required. This also involves maintaining databases where data are derived from other agencies/organizations which are relevant to UNICEF.
Result: The databases maintained are used to report on the situation of children and women through UNICEF flagship publications and sector specific reports.
4. Production of tables, charts, and other dissemination materials
Result: Updated data available in key global reports, articles, and other data-related reports and on www.childinfo.org.
5. Fact checking of reports, speeches, media materials and presentations.
Result: Harmonization of data across UNICEF and partner organizations and accurate data being provided in a timely manner.
6. Undertake other work which may be assigned by the Supervisor to support the work of the section.
Result: Stated results realized through active team participation
- Advanced university degree in demography, public health, social sciences or statistics
- Two years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international levels in statistical data processing, data analysis, and development/maintenance of statistical databases.
- Experience with data sources, and with data assessment and data analysis of interest to UNICEF, particularly related to data on children and women.
- Previous experience compiling and presenting country-level data, with a focus on child protection topics, such as FGM/C, child marriage, child labour, violence.
- Proven experience in working with data from household surveys and its use in policy and programming.
- Proven experience in data analysis and report writing to disseminate key data and findings to non-technical audiences, particularly related to child protection.
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency with another UN language is an asset
Treats all people with dignity and respect; shows respect and sensitivity towards cultural and religious differences; challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace; encourages diversity wherever possible
Maintains high ethical standards; takes clear ethical stands, keeps promises; immediately addresses untrustworthy or dishonest behavior; resists political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority
Demonstrates commitment to the organization and UNICEF’s mission; demonstrates the values of UNICEF in daily activities and behaviors; seeks out new challenges, assignments and responsibilities; promotes UNICEF’s cause
Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience; presents information in a well-structured and logical way
Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well
Sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals; focuses on the needs and satisfaction of internal/external clients; accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
Analyzes numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgments from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system
Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organization; relates well to people at all levels; manages conflict; uses humor appropriately to enhance relationships with others
- Applying Technical Expertise
Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organizational departments and functions
Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
6 months with possibility of extension
This is a NYHQ-based post with possibly some travel (1-2 months per year) to UNICEF field offices and other organizations.
How to Apply
If you match the profile above, have experience working in a similar capacity, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children, kindly send the following to email@example.com with subject line “TA – SM Officer, Child Protection, P2” by 15 March 2012: