Terms of Reference (ToRs)
Garments: Labour Market
Financial scheme and Career path development (Tatari) Intervention
Strategic Communications Partner
EP reference number:
Fund used: DF / PAF
Date and version of draft ToRs:
Period of assignment: July to September, 2018
DAI Europe, together with consortium partners First Consult; Enclude; and ITAD, is managing the UKaid-funded Private Enterprise Program Ethiopia (PEEP) a seven-year £70 million program that aims to support and transform the private sector and Ethiopia’s continued economic growth implemented by Enterprise Partner (EP).
EP is utilising the Making Markets Work for the Poor approach (M4P) and has two main pillars to achieve the goal of integrating the poor, and especially women, in sustainable economic enterprises that create jobs and improve incomes. The planned impact is to create 45,000 jobs (75% of which will be held by women) and increase the incomes of 65,000 households by at least 20%.
The EP pillars are:
- The Finance Group is expected to achieve the outcome of increasing investment levels in the Ethiopian economy, particularly for growth-oriented small and medium enterprise. This will include funding of green technologies where appropriate and develop funding for green growth investment.
- The Agro-Industrial Group is expected to achieve the outcome of increasing returns on investment (productivity) and investment levels in the identified sectors of cotton/textiles, livestock/leather and horticulture, in order to achieve the impact of creating jobs and raising household incomes. Additionally, this pillar will incorporate the promotion of climate change awareness and addressing women’s economic empowerment.
Background specific to this assignment
Ethiopia has embarked an endeavour of setting up industrial parks to spur industrialization and economic growth. Hawasa Industrial Park (HIP) is the flagship park set up by the government which focuses on Garments export. There are currently 18 factories operating in the park. However, the factories in the park are faced with challenges of high labour turnover and low labour productivity. This is mainly owing to the fact that employees are coming from agricultural background and do not see a future for themselves in the industrial settings. EP has designed an intervention to address these challenges faced by factories in the HIP and beyond.
The intervention designed is an integrated package of savings, loan and entrepreneurship. The integrated scheme aims to increase worker retention and productivity by building a long-term purpose and plan for workers of becoming owners and managers of SME businesses. The intervention also aims to addresses issues related to workers weak capacity on financial awareness, SME business development & market linkages, as well as FDI knowledge and technology transfer. The Brand name of the intervention is ‘TATARI’, Amharic for hard-working or industrious with a caption “የነገ ሥራ ፈጣሪ”. A Technical Working Group (TWG) comprised of EP, Commercial Bank of Ethiopia (CBE), Development Bank of Ethiopia(DBE) and Federal Small and Medium Manufacturing Agency (FeSMMIDA) is set up to coordinate the successful implementation of Tatari. Please review the concept note in the annex for more information on the intervention.
The purpose of the assignment is to contract a strategic communication partner to develop a communication strategy, and a campaign plan on various outreach platforms. The immediate purpose of the communication strategy is greater understanding and uptake of Tatari by workers. The long-term goal is to create an awareness among job seekers about the potential career path of working in industrial set-up and how it can impact their life. Potentially using Tatari as a pulling factor for new joiners in to the HIP.
3. SPECIFIC TASKS
The communication partner is responsible for advising, guiding and developing the overall Tatari communication strategy along with related promotion materials design and delivery. The communication partner will also be responsible for ensuring quality delivery of the communication strategy and related materials.
Expected outputs include
- Technical proposal with a proposed communication strategy, a detailed work plan and timeline
- Financial proposal with 3 set of budgets as applicable to a small scale, medium scale and large scale implementation plan for the communication strategy
- Inception report detailing understanding of the assignment and related approach to be taken.
- Preliminary assessment and a workshop to validate findings
- Communication strategy development
- Implementation plan which includes production phase and communication tools
Note: Selection criteria will be based on the innovativeness and efficiency of the submitted proposal.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience working as a communication partner for development projects, similar in nature and level of complexity as EP. Please refer to our website www.enterprisepartners.org for more information on EP.
- Experience in running media promotional campaigns and developing motion graphics to raise awareness for various development partner affiliates, a UN agency or similar international organizations is highly desirable.
- Registered business license for media campaign promotions.
- Advanced design skills in motion graphics, particularly character animation.
- Advanced skills working with Illustrator, In-Design and Adobe after Effects and Cinema 4D.
- WORKING ARRANGEMENTS
A working group (TWG) comprising of EP, Commercial Bank of Ethiopia (CBE), Development bank of Ethiopia(DBE) and Federal Small and Medium Manufacturing Agency (FeSMMIDA) is set up to coordinate the implementation of the Tatari Intervention.
The communication partner shall work with the TWG at all stages of the development process; reporting to Enterprise Partners.
The Tatari scheme will have a six-month period of pilot projected to take place between July to December, 2018. Following the successful implementation of the pilot, scale up is expected to take place to all factories in HIP and other parks in the country. Accordingly, the communication partner will be critical in designing the communication strategy and related materials in the first three months of the pilot. Learnings from the pilot are also expected to be captured by the communication campaign for continuous communication.
The bidding process and related selection of communication partner is expected to be finalized within the month of June 2018. This allows for two weeks for technical and financial proposal submission and a few days for selection of partner.
Once a partner is selected preliminary assessment and inception meetings need to start within a week period of time. This allows for the validation workshop to take place Mid-July to End-July, 2018. These and other deliverables need to be detailed in a work plan to be submitted as part of the technical proposal.
6. APPLICATION PROCESS
Application will follow an open bidding process with companies submitting a detailed technical and financial proposals in separate PDF documents; to EP through the email: email@example.com within two weeks from the date of the announcement.
No application will be accepted beyond the deadline.
Please follow the link below to read through the Annex - Tatari Concept Note:
Last date for submission of application is 13th July, 2018.