Structural Engineer – International Development
Our mission is to shape a better world. Arup’s International Development team works exclusively with organisations committed to improving social well-being and reducing vulnerability in developing countries. The current focus areas include: urban resilience, post-disaster reconstruction, education and health infrastructure, water and sanitation, renewable energy and low-income housing/shelter. We operate on a not-for-profit basis, harnessing Arup’ skills and networks to provide technical expertise and practical solutions which address critical challenges posed by urbanisation, poverty, climate change and natural disasters.
We are seeking to appoint a Structural Engineer with strong project management and team working skills, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills who will become a permanent member of the Arup’s International Development (AID) Group in London.
The purpose of this role is to provide technical, project management and communication expertise to a range of infrastructure projects in the development or humanitarian contexts, in Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, and South/South-East Asia. This includes the following:
- Responsible for checking the quality and accuracy of own and others’ work and works under minimal supervision within defined areas of responsibility
- Authors reports and assists in the preparation of project documentation and deliverables
- Manages own time and others in order to meet project deadlines and deliverables. Ability to juggle many different conflicting demands and priorities.
- Able to identify objectives clearly, plan actions and coordinate with and inform others as necessary.
- Responsible for defined parts of projects.
- Responsible for organising events, activities, processes, and internal projects of some complexity.
- Capture and disseminate best practice guidance and learning internally and externally. This will include representing the team/group/profession/ discipline at external meetings and being responsible for the development of others, providing guidance, training and feedback.
In addition, you may take on project management responsibilities on small projects or parts of large projects under the supervision of a Project Manager. This involves:
- Co-ordinating the Arup team and external partners to ensure project requirements are fulfilled
- Developing and updating project plans
- Monitoring progress and controlling expenditure
- Ensuring quality management standards are adhered to
Working on a number of projects with different project teams, it is essential that you are adaptable and flexible, and are comfortable working with colleagues from a variety of professional and cultural backgrounds. Confident and composed, you will be equally at home whether on a field-mission, in meetings with clients, or in an office instructing and mentoring your colleagues or supporting others.
Requirements and Skills
- MSc/ MEng in Structural Engineering (or equivalent)
- Achieved /working towards achieving Chartered Engineer (CEng) status with the Engineering Council via an appropriate professional institution such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers, or
- have already applied for their Chartered Professional Review/Chartered Membership Examination, and/or post-graduate qualification (e.g. infrastructure design, engineering, project management, international development, and sustainable development).
Essential Skills & Knowledge
- Typically around 4-6 years’ experience in the field of structural design for building structures together with experience of working in, and an understanding of, the development sector, for example, post-graduate qualification in development and /or experience working in this sector for/ with a development organisation or local/ national government in a developing country.
- Experience in vernacular construction and associated materials such as earth, timber, masonry and low tech reinforced concrete. In particular, an interest in how to improve durability and performance for hazards such as seismic.
- Experience in technical capacity building through knowledge transfer or training.
- An understanding and interest in cross-cutting issues including sustainability, disaster risk reduction, resilience and climate change.
- Understanding of the value of generalist consulting skills and working to advance your generalist skills (project management, facilitation, interpretation) to ensure the best support is provided to our clients.
- Strong team working skills, with experience contributing to creative and appropriate solutions in wide-ranging contexts.
- Excellent written and visual communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in cross-cultural environments; ability to speak other languages is beneficial.
- A strong ability to communicate through sketching, drawing, presentations and in writing.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills. The ability to prioritise tasks, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential.
Key Behavioural Competencies:
• Communicates effectively
• Outcome focused
• Desire to challenge
• Prioritises needs to partners/ Clients
• Enjoys working with others
• Creative and inquisitive
The position is UK based but the Group’s work is international and significant overseas travel will be required.
Shape your time with us
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
About the Organization
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment and across industry. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
We are truly global. From 85 offices in 35 countries, our 12,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants deliver innovative projects across the world with creativity and passion.
Founded in 1946 with an enduring set of values, our unique trust ownership fosters a distinctive culture and an intellectual independence that encourages collaborative working. This is reflected in everything we do, allowing us to develop meaningful ideas, help shape agendas and deliver results that frequently surpass the expectations of our clients.
The people at Arup are driven to find a better way and to deliver better solutions.