In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year performance management support contract – PERFORM to Management Systems International (MSI). Under PERFORM MSI provides monitoring support, evaluations, assessments, and learning support services to USAID. These services provide evidence-based data and information and high-quality analysis that USAID program managers use to target resources and inform project design and implementation to improve project results and achieve objectives.
***Please note: Only citizens of Pakistan are eligible for this position.***
MSI is seeking a subject matter expert in municipal water and sanitation services for a midterm evaluation of the Municipal Services Program in Sindh (MSP-Sindh). MSP-Sindh is a $70 million USAID-funded government-to-government (G2G) project that has constructed and rehabilitated water, wastewater, and solid waste management infrastructure in urban Jacobabad. The evaluation will examine various aspects of project management with the objective of identifying management issues that USAID should consider in future G2G projects. The evaluation will also explore beneficiaries’ perceptions of water, wastewater, and solid waste services; estimate the impact of the project on the prevalence of diarrhea in children under five years using a quasi-experimental impact assessment design; and identify secondary effects of the program. The evaluation will focus exclusively on urban Jacobabad in Sindh Province.
The assignment team will include a team lead, subject matter experts, local researchers, and other support staff as necessary. The subject matter expert (WASH) will support the team lead to design, manage, and implement assignment activities, especially those related to assessing project management.
The evaluation will begin on or about March 1, 2019 and conclude on or about the end of July 2019. The anticipated level of effort for the subject matter expert (WASH) is approximately 65-70 days.
In collaboration with MSI staff and the team lead, the subject matter expert will:
- Conduct background research which may include reviewing documents, reviewing local and international media on issues related to the subject, and preparing notes and briefs summarizing and analyzing the content;
- Participate in a two-week team planning workshop and presentation to USAID/Pakistan;
- Contribute to developing data collection instruments, a data collection plan, and a data analysis plan;
- Conduct interviews and prepare detailed notes and/or transcripts in English, with a focus on the interviews related to community mobilization and water and sanitation services;
- Participate in data processing and analysis sessions;
- Contribute to presenting findings and conclusions of the research to USAID and its implementing partners;
- Under the direction of the team lead, provide extensive input in preparing the research report, including drafting sections of the report; and
- Any other task related to the assignment and the position as directed by MSI/PERFORM or the team lead.
- At least a master’s degree in social science, water and sanitation, or other relevant field and at least 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in social science research with fluency in qualitative research methods, including analysis of qualitative data preferred.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating water and sanitation projects, and particularly community mobilization efforts related to improving water and sanitation infrastructure, preferably in the context of Pakistan.
- Familiarity with USAID’s evaluation policy and experience evaluating USAID activities a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, especially in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in Sindhi.
- Ability/willingness to conduct field work in Jacobabad.
Candidates that have a real or potential conflict of interest in this monitoring will not be considered. MSI will require a written statement to this effect before formal engagement on this assignment. Conflict of interest in this context includes, but is not limited to: close and/or family relations with the individuals that are related to the project, financial interest in the implementing organization(s) or grantees, current or previous experience with the project being monitored or the USAID requesting office, etc.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.