Team Leader, Democratic Governance Support Programme, Mozambique
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
Length of the project:
Duties and Responsibilities:
DAI is seeking a Team Leader for an opportunity in Mozambique for a Democratic Governance Programme. The overall objective of the project is to set up and operate a Mangement Unit for this programme. The purpose of the programme is to strengthen democratic governance in five municipalities in Mozambique which will then be better able to provide and protect rights and freedoms provided in the National Constitution.
The Management Unit, based in Maputo will implement three programme components: issue based work at the municipal level, the media component, and the information and policy component.
At the municipal level, the programme will identify issues and facilitate dialogue around those issues, forming coalitions of various stakeholders who can work together to solve problems and create change.
The Team Leader will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short time frames while ensuring operational and program integrity. S/He will serve as DAI’s designated person for overall management of DAI’s relationship with the donor/client. The Team Leader will provide oversight in the setting up and operation of the Management Unit including the challenge funds.
Key Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 10 years experience in implementing governance programmes
- Proven track record of successful capacity development support to civil society and work of communities
- Experience in implementing complex governance and accountability programmes including monitoring and evaluation of similar programmes
- Proven expertise in managing challenge funds or in managing grant giving mechanisms; and proven ability to manage a multi million pound programme
- Ability to effectively engage with a variety of stakeholders including civil society, media, policy makers/institutions and different levels of government
- Must have prior experience working in Africa; experience working in Mozambique is highly advantageous
- Demonstrated experience as a project team leader, preferably for a DFID funded project with strong project management and programme management capabilities
- Knowledge of DFID rules and regulations
- Candidates must be fluent spoken and written English. Fluency in Portuguese is highly desirable
- An advanced degree in a relevant field in governance or similar preferred
Deadline for Application:
30th July 2011
Democratic governance, accountability reform, challenge fund, monitoring and evaluation, civil society strengthening, Team Leader